GoDuBois.com

Homemade soap and shampoo

Guest snellma

Guest snellma

With all the chemicals that are being added to things I have been trying to learn to use natural ingredients and make my own cleaners.  Recently when I was home I attended a homemade soap making class put on by my good friend.  I learned a lot and am now very excited about making my own soap.  I have been making my own detergent for quite some time now but have not been happy with the new Fels bars.  She uses her own homemade soap in her detergent.  She gave everyone a sample and I like it much better than what I have been making with fels.  We also got samples of some of the soaps she has made and were able to puchase other items that she makes (bug spray, anti-itch spray, healing sauve, bath salts, etc.).

I was a little leary about the homemade soap but am a firm believer in it now.  I got a sample of the gardner's bar (with pumice and oatmeal) and her shampoo bar.  What an AMAZING job the shampoo bar does with my hair.  I use a lot of products on my hair which normally requires 2 washings, even with good Revlon shampoo that my hairdresser suggests I use.  With this shampoo bar my hair becomes squeeky clean with just one wash.

I know making your own soap isn't something a lot of people would consider.  BUT, if you would like to try some of her products send me a private message and I will give you her contact information.

As soon as I get my husband to build my mold I will be making my own.  I don't feel like I will be taking away from my friend since I am in SC.  I also am trying to help drum up her business with this little plug.  Try it - I think you will like it.

Guest steelergirl

I have been making my own soap for a year or so now, and i will NEVER go back!! it has done wonders for my skin.

I had my own mold, but you can use shoe boxes or cake pans lined with parchment paper, or even pringles cans!

I highly recommend learning this trade!  I know of 2 different places that will teach the classes (one seems to be the hub that we all have learned from over the years). Or you can purchase soap from these individuals and try it out to see if you like it- i promise you will!

Guest snellma

I had my own mold, but you can use shoe boxes or cake pans lined with parchment paper, or even pringles cans!

The recipe I was given will make 21 bars.  It comes out like one huge batch of hard fudge and you slice it twice and get 3 pieces.  Then you slice each of those into 7 bars for a total of 21.  They are about the size of normal bar soap.

Molds would be cute to use as gifts.  I may have to look into that.

Guest steelergirl

Oh yea, you can use all kinds of things!! I recommend lining with parchment paper or freezer paper. do NOT use wax paper! learned that one the hard way!! it melts into the soap, i was pulling pieces out of my soap in the shower.

I imagine we have the same recipe and mold size. As i said, most in the area have learned from the same person.

There are great websites that help you with other fats, they have calcualtors and you plug in what u have it tells you exactly the amounts u need... plus forums.

i wanna try a recipe that includes the mud ingredient in a mud mask, it goes in just before pouring the mold. I bought a bar, and i am now pimple free!!  So many things you can do!

I think I probably took the class from the same person!  Haven't been able to get time to make my own soap yet, but a friend does.  I DO buy from the person who taught me, and will not ever go back to using commercially prepared soaps.  My skin is so much less dry now.  the only issue I find is that the oatmeal in the soap makes the drain clog up faster than before, but that's a small price to pay.  Some baking soda and vinegar generally takes care of that problem, too.  

Guest snellma

I think I probably took the class from the same person!  

I'm not so sure.  Two people have mentioned names of who they took a class from and neither one was my friend.  So, now there are 3 people out there offering classes (there may even be more for all I know).