GoDuBois.com

Article 10 - Second Series - February 20th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE Every Monday!
Article 10 - Second Series - February 20th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Transparency is key in the spiritual life. The path of holiness demands it. A great Biblical image is that of “face to face.” Pope Benedict XVI for the XX World Youth Day in 2005 at Cologne preached the following words, “The Latin word for adoration is ad-oratio - mouth to mouth contact, a kiss, an embrace, and hence, ultimately love.” In other words, the goal of the Christian life is to be face to face with God. 

The Biblical narrative provides us with several images to help see where we are in terms of our transparency with the Lord. Consider Adam who at first walked with the Lord. This implies that Adam’s whole being, especially his intellect and will, were in step with God. He was, so to speak, face to face with God (in proper alignment with Him). 

Then, evil entered the scene. Adam ceased to be in-step with the Lord. He turned his face, quite literally, from Him. Adam and Eve grasped for the fruit from the forbidden tree. They made it their prerogative to determine good and evil on their own terms. Adam and Eve immediately covered themselves in fig leaves. Even worse, they hid behind the trees. Adam and Eve originally were naked but foolishly decided to cover themselves and hide behind trees. The Biblical point could not be clearer: Adam and Eve are no longer transparent or honest with the Lord. 

We encounter another familiar scene in the Biblical narrative with King David. He had moments in which he was both transparent and dishonest with the Lord. Therefore, we will look at both sides of David. We know that David was a humble shepherd who was chosen by the Lord. We also know that David was fearless and had tremendous faith in God. Consider the story in which David became quite frustrated with Goliath the Philistine who was mocking the Israelite army. King Saul did not want the young David to become a mockery. He tried to persuade him to avoid the fight. Instead, David responded, “‘The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.’ Saul said to David, ‘Go, and the LORD be with you’” (1 Samuel 17:37). 

David then faced Goliath as the two exchanged fighting words. David said, “This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel” (1 Samuel 17: 45-46). David, of course, defeats Goliath with the help of the Lord. David is walking in line with God, face to face. 

Yet, David does not remain the transparent, honest follower of God. He rises to power and then abuses it. David avoids his duty as king who should be out fighting and, instead, falls to a much more powerful enemy than Goliath…lust. David notices a beautiful woman named Bathsheba from his rooftop (which represents his place of power). He sends messengers to get her. He then commits adultery. She becomes pregnant. He tries to cover it all up. His plan doesn’t work. He goes as far to murder Bathsheba’s husband, Uriah, by sending him to the front lines with this note to the military commander, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then, withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die” (2 Samuel 11:14). David is no longer an honest, transparent soul. David has covered himself with dirtier fig leaves and has hid behind much larger trees than that of Adam and Eve. David is no longer face to face with God. 

Psalm 51, a prayer of repentance, is often attributed to King David in response to his devastating and pathetic abuse of authority. Consider these lines, “Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your abundant compassion blot out my offense. Wash away all my guilt; from my sin cleanse me. For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.” Psalm 51 also states, “Cleanse me with hyssop, that I may be pure; wash me, make me whiter than snow.” David is now becoming more transparent before the Lord. It’s a return to face to face as opposed to covering with fig leaves and hiding behind trees.

Most powerfully, we encounter the most transparent moment in the Biblical narrative. It is the moment of Jesus Christ on the cross. Unlike Adam, who covered himself with fig leaves and hid behind trees, Jesus is completely naked and hanging on the tree. He is completely vulnerable, transparent, and honest with God the Father. Unlike David, who abused his authority for selfish ends while trying to cover up the mess, Jesus forgives those around him and simply loves. The image of Christ on the cross could not be clearer: Jesus is completely transparent and honest with God the Father. 

Honesty really is the best policy in the spiritual life. The Biblical narrative repeatedly, and dare I say painstakingly, describes the importance of transparency. All of these stories and images demand that we return to Pope Benedict XVI’s image of adoration - ad-oratio. Benedict XVI states, “mouth to mouth contact, a kiss, an embrace…ultimately love.” The spiritual life is all about being face to face with God and that demands transparency. 

========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

FrBEN.jpg