GoDuBois.com

Article #2 - Fourth Series - April 24th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

Article #2 - Fourth Series - April 24th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir 

Article:

Jesus calls fishermen to deeper waters and greater adventure. 

The Gospel of Mark states, “As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, ‘Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ Then they left their nets and followed him” (Mark 1:16-18).

Simon and Andrew saw themselves as fishermen, but Jesus sees more within them. Jesus wants to build upon their fishing experiences and form them for something greater.

There is a lie which indicates that once one drops his nets to follow Jesus, he never picks those nets back up again. This lie is nonsense! Jesus builds upon all our experiences, skills, abilities, hobbies, gifts, relationships, and talents. Grace builds upon nature. 

Like Simon and Andrew, we may see ourselves as mere fishermen in shallow waters. Jesus, on the other hand, sees more within us. Jesus calls us to greater adventure. He challenges us “put out into deep water and lower the nets for a catch” (Luke 5:4). 

Jesus’s challenge to Simon and Andrew excites them more than any previous fishing opportunity. Once Peter and Andrew step out of their tiny boats and drop their empty nets, they open themselves to the grandness of God. Jesus always calls us to deeper waters and greater adventure. 

The question is never “is He calling me on an adventure?” but rather “Am I willing to go and follow Him?” 

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

FrBEN.jpg