GoDuBois.com

Exposure to artificial, bright, outdoor night-time light linked to higher stroke risk

Deer Runner

I know that the bright LED lights that illuminate the downtown and residential streets are a big point of pride for our city management, but...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240325172425.htm  ""

"Our study suggests that higher levels of exposure to outdoor artificial light at night may be a risk factor for cerebrovascular disease,"  "Therefore, we advise people, especially those living in urban areas, to consider reducing that exposure to protect themselves from its potential harmful impact."

"Artificial sources of light include fluorescent, incandescent and LED light sources. Continuous exposure to these light sources at night can suppress melatonin production, a hormone that promotes sleep. This can disrupt the 24-hour internal clock in people and impair sleep. People with poor sleep, compared to good sleepers, are more likely to experience worse cardiovascular health over time, according to the study. The American Heart Association's Life's Essential 8 includes healthy sleep as one of the eight healthy lifestyle behaviors and health measures that drive optimal cardiovascular health""

Unless we are using our streets as a landing strip, why not reduce the intensity? I would that most of the people impacted on our residential would agree. I would also bet that city management likely does not care enough to do anything about it. I guess they must see some advantage in producing residual light as far as Reynoldsville?? (No exaggeration)

Aside from the health concerns, I would be surprised if most people find all bright white light aesthetically pleasing.