GoDuBois.com

Article 6 - November 14th, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE Every Monday!
Article 6 - November 14th, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Toby Keith is famous for his catchy American lyrics. One of his songs from the early 2000’s has become prophetic. 

The song is entitled “I Wanna Talk About Me” and depicts a man who is tired of hearing about his significant other’s extended family, work, friends, dreams and much more. 

Here is the popular part of the song, “I wanna talk about me, wanna talk about I. Wanna talk about number one, oh my me my. What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see. I like talking about you, you, you, you usually; but occasionally, I wanna talk about me.”

I could not think of a clearer mantra for today - “I wanna talk about me.” In the spiritual life, things go haywire the moment one’s focus selfishly turns inward. St. Augustine called this incurvatus in se (being caved in on the self). Humanity’s greatest weakness has always been when it caves in on itself.

The Italian poet, Dante Alighieri, in his work The Divine Comedy depicts a scene when he enters the depths of hell. He sees Satan flapping his wings in a hell that is frozen. Satan is stuck in himself, consumed in his own little world, and the devil doesn’t even notice when Dante is in his presence. The devil’s mantra is obvious - “I wanna talk about me.” Dante’s point about hell is also evident - hell caves in on itself (incurvatus in se). 

What does the Biblical tradition teach us about incurvatus in se - the “I wanna talk about me” mentality? 

The Bible is not interested in the boring narrative of self-promotion, of how I made myself, or of how I define myself. It has zero time for the “me, myself, and I” mantra. We see the exact opposite of the incurvatus in se (“I wanna talk about me”) mentality in the Virgin Mary. 

The Angel Gabriel greeted Mary and stated, “Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus” (Luke 1:31). Mary is troubled, but she does not consume herself in her own wants and needs. Instead, Mary is open to God’s grace and responds, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Mary’s entire life is open to new horizons, new possibilities, and a new adventure. Such is the beauty of life when one is not caved in on the self. 

Next, we read of a beautiful encounter when Mary greets her cousin Elizabeth. Elizabeth says to her, “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” (Luke 1:42-44). How, then, does Mary respond?

Mary gives praise to God, “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord” (Luke 1:46). Mary then continues to praise God because He is a merciful and strong Savior who remembers His promises. Mary talks about God, not herself. The incurvatus in se - “I wanna talk about me” mentality is nowhere to be found. 

The contemporary story of “I wanna talk about me” in which I am the author, I am starring in it, I am in control of the plot, I decide which characters are or are not in my story, etc. is not that interesting. It is a boring narrative that is excessively told. 

On the other hand, the story of salvation in which God is both present and active is something worth talking about. In fact, we ought to talk about God much more than we do. 

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

Fr. Ben Daghir.png

• Pompeii changed the title to Article 6 - November 14th, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir
  • Pompeii locked this topic