GoDuBois.com

Stations of the Cross Series, Station #11, Thurs, April 6th by Fr. Ben Daghir & Luke Daghir

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
Stations of the Cross Series, Station #11, Thursday, April 6th by Fr. Ben Daghir & Luke Daghir

Editor's Note: Fr. Ben Daghir and Luke Daghir will have 14 articles based upon the stations of the cross. The 14th article will conclude on Easter Sunday.  

Article:
The 11th Station: Jesus is nailed to the cross. 

Pope John Paul II once stated, “If the word of God does not convince you, His blood will.” 

Doubting Thomas said, “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe” (John 20:25). 

The Roman soldiers did not intend to be Christian evangelists, but their marks into Christ’s hands have been converting skeptical and incredulous people for centuries.  

Jesus is not ashamed of His marks. He said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side; do not be faithless, but believing” (John 20:27). 

Thomas then replied, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28). 

Have we been skeptical of the Christian narrative? Have we struggled to believe in Christianity? Have we gone through the motions as a Christian for many years without ever really growing in faith? Do we feel as if the crucifixion was something long ago, covered in the dust of history, and out of touch with the modern world? 

Have we lost sight of the blood in our Christian faith? Have we forgotten that Roman soldiers pounded nails into Christ’s hands? Have we forgotten that those Roman nails reflect sin which always seeks to pin down and diminish truth, goodness, and beauty? Have we forgotten that sin restricts, enslaves, and nails us down? Have we forgotten that Jesus was nailed to the cross?

Maybe it is time to glance at the pierced hands of Jesus. Maybe His pierced hands are our neighbor’s hands. Maybe we see His pierced hands in our family member who is enduring an illness. Maybe His pierced hands are seen as the priest makes the sign of the cross when forgiving our sins. Maybe His pierced hands are seen in the elderly. Maybe we see His pierced hands in our coworker who is experiencing hardship. Maybe His pierced hands are seen in persons with disabilities. 

Maybe Jesus’s statement to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side” means that we need to look again at the people in our lives with the 11th Station of the cross in mind.

“We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you; because by your holy cross you have redeemed the world.”

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies. 

FrBEN.jpg