GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #12 - April 21st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #12 - April 21st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: Fr. Ben Daghir's brother, Luke Daghir, was ordained a deacon for the Diocese of Erie on Saturday, April 15th. Fr. Ben's article reflects on the experience.

Pictures: The pictures are of the ordination in Erie and Luke's first homily at Saint Mary's Parish in Saint Marys, Pa. 

Article:
My twin brother, Luke Daghir, was ordained a deacon for the Diocese of Erie on Saturday, April 15th at Saint Mark’s Seminary in Erie, Pa. The next day, I had the opportunity to celebrate Mass at Saint Mary’s Parish in Saint Marys, Pa. with my brother. Luke preached his first homily at the Mass. It was a great honor to be alongside him in the parish where we were both baptized and received first reconciliation, Holy Communion, and confirmation. 

If interested in listening to Luke’s first homily, you can find it on this video: 

There is a powerful moment during an ordination when the bishop lays hands on the head of the individual being ordained. In this case, Bishop Lawrence T. Persico laid hands on my brother Luke Daghir. 

There is silence during this moment of the ordination. While watching, I silently prayed, “Lord, make him a saint and a master evangelist.”

Our world needs saints. Our world needs master evangelists. We need followers who not only live out the Gospel but also proclaim it. 

Luke’s diaconate card reflects the demand for sainthood and being an evangelist. His card has a scripture verse from the Acts of the Apostles. The apostles were being questioned by authorities as to why they were preaching and teaching the good news of Jesus Christ. The apostles’ response to these authorities, “It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard” (Acts of the Apostles 4:20). 

This biblical verse reflects the boldness, conviction, and sheer witness of the apostles. Quite beautifully, the first reading at the diaconate ordination came from this scripture passage. The power of the Resurrection fueled and motivated the apostles to be saints and master evangelists. We Catholics must continue to follow in the footsteps of the apostles who gave their lives to the crucified and Risen Lord. 

During the ordination, I also thought about two brothers, Simon (Peter) and Andrew, who were called by Jesus to follow Him. Their vocation story means a tremendous amount to Luke and me. 

It’s worth sharing the biblical passage of this moment, “As Jesus passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, ‘Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ Immediately, they left their nets and followed him” (Mark 1:16-18). 

The Lord called these brothers. As a result, they dropped their nets and left their boat behind. Of course, this means that they left behind their limited worldviews and selfish ambitions. It means that they stepped out into a much larger adventure with Christ. These two brothers desired much greater horizons and seas which is something only Christ can offer. 

Their lives, of course, were far more remarkable and exciting once they met Jesus and began the adventure. Instead of fishing along the shore of Galilee, Jesus sent them to be fishers of men to the corners of the known world. 2,000 years later, Jesus continues to call brothers to follow Him and to go on an adventure. 

There is no doubt in my mind that the Lord is calling many more young people to serve Him in the priesthood and to the religious life for men and women. The question is not “Is God calling young people today?” but, "Will young people hear His voice, see His face, drop their nets, step out of the boat, and follow Him on an adventure?” 

FULL VIDEO:

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

FrBEN.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.12.55 PM_t.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.15.05 PM_t.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.10.37 PM_t.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.12.07 PM_t.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.14.11 PM_t.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 4.22.14 PM_t.png