GoDuBois.com

Article #6 - Fourth Series - May 22th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ - Article #6 - Fourth Series - May 15th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: This article is a summary from a homily preached by Fr. Ben Daghir at DuBois Central Catholic on September 21, 2022. The Mass celebrated the Feast of St. Matthew. 

Article:
Could it be that Christianity is that simple? Jesus sees Matthew the tax collector and says to him, “Follow me.” Matthew immediately follows Him. Could Christianity be that simple?

There are two dramas by which we can choose to live: the ego-drama and the theo-drama. The ego-drama is the story in which I am the author, the world revolves around me, the spotlights shine on me, I’m in control. The theo-drama, on the other hand, is a completely different story. The theo-drama is when God becomes the author and we play an important, yet small role in His great story. 

Quite honestly, the difference between an unhappy and a happy person is pretty simple: it all depends on which drama one chooses. The ego-drama is boring, uninteresting, and lacks excitement. The ego-drama is neither open to adventure nor mystery. A person in the theo-drama listens, seeks to serve, and is willing to humbly learn from others. The theo-drama is open to new adventure, opportunities, and to God’s mysterious and unique plan for each person. 

Matthew the tax collector was once in the ego-drama. He placed all the coins on the table before him. He calculated everything. He was in complete control as the coins rolled between his fingers. Suddenly, Jesus says to him, “Follow me!” The theo-drama rushed into his life. Matthew quickly noticed a new opportunity and adventure, something that he could neither calculate nor control. He saw that he had an important, yet small role in a much more exciting narrative. It’s called the theo-drama. 

Consider for a moment that our high schoolers sit across from our elementary school students during Mass. Our elementary students look up to you upperclassmen. They see you in the hallways. They see you in sports. They see you in theatrical performances. They see your picture in the newspapers. They want to grow up and be like you. 

What drama do they see when they look at you? Do they see the ego-drama - the story of serving oneself, it’s all about me? Or, do they see the theo-drama - a person who humbly serves and sacrifices for others, who also respects teachers, classmates, parents, teammates, coaches and friends? 

Could it be that Christianity is that simple? Jesus says, “Follow me” and we do it. There is nothing more exciting and motivating than the theo-drama. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg