GoDuBois.com

Article #7 - Fourth Series - May 29th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

Article #7 - Fourth Series - May 29th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: This article is a summary from a homily preached by Fr. Ben Daghir at DuBois Central Catholic on September 27, 2022. The Gospel was Luke 9:51-56.

Article:
Our Gospel is very short today but it’s packed with a relevant lesson for us. Notice this line, “he [Jesus] resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem.” Jesus is very unique because of His remarkable focus on this goal. Of course, Jerusalem is where Jesus will be crucified, buried, and resurrected. His whole goal is directed toward Jerusalem and He doesn’t let anything or anyone get in the way of this. 

Consider, for example, all of the distractions and adversities that Jesus had to face: His apostles try to prevent Him from going to Jerusalem. His friends desert Him. He is scourged at the pillar. He is mocked, humiliated, and unjustly accused. The Romans place a crown of thorns around His head. He has nails put into his hands and feet. 

Yet, despite all of this adversity and pain, He continues with a single-minded focus to do the Father’s will - to save us through His death and resurrection. In other words, Jesus is resolutely determined and focused on one thing. One thing. One thing. One thing. 

If you are anything like me, then you are about many things. One moment we are concerned about what people will think of us. Another moment we think “what if I fail?” or “What if I am not enough?” Yet, another moment we consider quitting, complaining, casting blame on someone else, or simply focusing on our fears and failures. We are filled with worries, concerns, and anxieties. These can manifest themselves in the simplest of ways: “What If I fail this test?” or “What if I strike out?” or “What if I forget my lines in the play?” or “What if I don’t do well enough on the SAT’s or the driver’s test?” or “What if I don’t live up to the person that I am meant to be?” What if. What if. What if. 

Doubts. Worries. Fears. Anxieties. It’s a mind that is preoccupied on many, many things instead of the goal. These many things can pile up, weigh us down, run through our heads, and paralyze us. They keep us from reaching our Jerusalem, our goal. 

Here is a quote that has always motivated me, “A Catholic saint is all about one thing - Jesus Christ.” Jesus constantly says to us, “Be not afraid!” for a reason. He wants us to be about one thing - Him. On the other hand, we are concerned about many things when we are fearful. It’s paralyzing, painful, and isolating. Jesus wants us to have the same single-minded, goal-oriented focus as Him. He wants us to be free, to excel, and to thrive.  

Six weeks ago at our first Mass of the year, I directed your attention to our mascot on the wall. Take another look. Is our Cardinal worried and concerned about many things? Of course not. Our mascot is focused on one thing - the goal. Like Jesus, our mascot has a single-minded focus and an undivided heart. He is all in and totally goal-oriented. That needs to be you, that needs to be me. That’s what it means to be a Cardinal. That’s what it means to be a Catholic too. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
348810691_562878059262169_7229599816851104708_n.jpg
FrBEN.jpg