GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #17 - June 2nd, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #17 - June 2nd, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor’s Note:  Fr. Ben Daghir reflects on the meaning of the word “graduation” as students from across the country are graduating from high school and university studies. 

Article: 
The word “graduation” derives from the Latin “gradus” which means step. People may often view “graduation” as an end, a conclusion, the last thing left. But this is simply not the meaning of the word “graduation.” Instead, graduation is a step within a more incredible adventure. It implies that the journey is not yet over. It means that there is more on the horizon to discover and encounter. 

We have numerous words in English associated with graduation: gradually, grade, graduate, upgrade, downgrade, etc. All these words have to do with a “step.” Of course, we have 1st grade, 2nd grade, etc. which means the first step, the second step, and so forth. We might take this for granted but 1st grade thru 12th grade implies an adventure, a path of many steps. 

I’d argue that there are two types of people in life: those who do not take the step and simply remain in their comfort zones and those who dare to step out of their comfort zones and go on an adventure. 

“Be not afraid” is the most repeated phrase throughout the biblical narrative. Let me translate these words into graduation language: be not afraid to take the step and to go on an adventure. The great saints of the Catholic Church follow in the footsteps of Christ and step into an adventure, even if it’s painful, challenging, and intimidating. The saints do not remain hunkered down in fear and comfort. 

We face “graduation” moments every day of our lives. Each of us encounters moments that challenge us to either take a step or remain where we have been. It’s very tempting, because of original sin and its effects, to hunker down in fear and remain in our comfort zones. It’s very tempting to go through life and avoid adventure by not taking a difficult step. But this is not the path of holiness. We are called to adventure. This is clearly understood in the following quote, “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for.” 

Jesus could have remained in Nazareth, but He took the steps to Jerusalem, to the Cross instead. Peter and Paul could have remained in Jerusalem but instead, they stepped into an adventure with the Lord which led them both to Rome, to their respective martyrdoms. 

J.R.R. Tolkien captures the meaning of “graduation” in his remarkable book “The Hobbit.” Tolkien’s opening line of the book reflects a fearful soul, “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit….it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.” Bilbo Baggins represents you and me. We have moments in which we want to remain in our comfort zones (our hobbit holes) because of fear. We want things to be comfortable, unchanging, and without challenges. Yet, a hobbit-hole lacks adventure which is something we are built for. 

Further in the story, Gandalf arrives and knocks on the door of Bilbo’s hobbit home. He says to Bilbo, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.” Unfortunately, Bilbo responds to Gandalf’s remarkable offer with the words of a fearful soul, “We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures.”

How true this is in life! God knocks on the doors of our minds and hearts with an opportunity to go on an adventure yet, sadly, many of us avoid it. We don’t take the step. Graduation demands much more out of us. Graduation demands a heroic soul, a courageous soul, and a soul yearning for adventure. Graduation demands a soul that is willing to step out of “what used to be” and into “what is to come.” 

I must confess that there have been moments in my life in which I’ve been like the fearful Bilbo Baggins. I’ve had moments in which the Lord has challenged me to step out of my comfort zone. Like mine, the fearful soul can often respond to the Lord’s invitation with words similar to Bilbo, “I have no use for an adventure with you.”

I remember being called by God to consider the priesthood and it flooded me with fear, worry, and anxiety. I tried to ignore it, push it to the side, etc. for some time. Like Bilbo, I tried to hunker down in the hobbit hole of my life. I also tried to not invite challenges or change into my hobbit hole. 

Yet, God was patient with me. He had an adventure in mind which required me to take a step. I thank God that He continued to knock on the door of my mind and heart many times through numerous people and experiences. We often need these encounters to knock us out of our comfort zones. We often need others to help us identify the adventure, the mission, and the purpose that God has for us. 

My guess is that if your parents, relatives, and friends were to be very transparent with you, they could identify moments in their lives when they avoided taking a step and chose to remain in their comfort zones. Many of us can recall moments in which we were hesitant to take the step because of fear and, instead, we hunkered down in the small world of comfort. How boring life is when we are not on an adventure and instead are filled with fear and stagnancy! 

Bilbo Baggins, of course, doesn’t remain in his hobbit hole. He eventually goes on an adventure. Bilbo steps out of his comfort zone. He quickly begins to see the wider world. Bilbo begins to identify and notice talents that he never knew he had. He begins to appreciate challenges and change. Bilbo even begins to forget about himself in service to others. 

Graduation not only demands that we take a step out of ourselves but that we also ask an important question, “Will I take major steps in my life on my own or with others?” Bilbo quickly learns that the adventure with Gandalf is not on his own. He meets remarkable people along the way who challenge him and even carry him when he’s weak. 

How true this is in life! We must remember that the adventure of life is one that we can walk with others. We can take the greatest steps alongside others and not on our own. We can talk with Christ about major steps in our lives. We can speak with our family members and friends about the challenging steps ahead of us. We can be alongside others who lift us up when we get knocked down and we can pick others up along the way. 

At the end of the book, Bilbo and Gandalf are sitting down together after the remarkable adventure which included danger, friendship, sacrifice, fighting in a war, and much more. Gandalf says to Bilbo, “You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" Bilbo responds, "Thank goodness!" 

Such is the response of someone who has taken a step beyond one’s comfort zone and into the wider world of adventure, purpose, and mission. It’s the place of gratitude and the realization that we are built for something much greater than ourselves. It’s this place where we find the saints. It’s this place where we find our vocation and purpose in life. It’s this place where 1st thru 12th grade (along with other levels of graduation) has been heading all along. 

Graduation is a great reminder that we are called to step out of ourselves and into a greater adventure with the Lord. 

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

FrBEN.jpg