GoDuBois.com

Article #7 -  Fifth Series - August 7th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

Article #7 -  Fifth Series - August 7th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: This article was in a weekend parish bulletin for St. Catherine of Siena and St. Michael the Archangel Parishes in DuBois, Pa. It was first published in the parish bulletin on July 17, 2022.  

Article:
I have had several people ask me, “Of all the things on a priest’s desk, what remains at the center of the desk?”

It's a good question. What remains at the center of my desk?

Evangelization - that mission and everything involved with it always remains at the center of my desk. The Church exists, at her core, to evangelize - to bring Christ to people and, as a result, to transform the world. I understand that throughout my priesthood, as more and different responsibilities are placed under my care, that many other things will be placed on my desk (many of which will be of extreme importance). I get it - the priest must have a very large desk. 

But, the center of the desk must sit the work of evangelization. This will be one of my greatest challenges - to allow the work of evangelization to undergird, permeate, and motivate all the other responsibilities and tasks. This demands a worldview, a mentality, and the constant reminder of the great mission of the Church - “Go and teach all nations” (Matthew 28:19). 

The best time to practice placing evangelization at the center of the desk, to learn from those around me, to learn from the saints in history, and to be open to new ways of doing things more effectively is…now.
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg