GoDuBois.com

Article #10 -  Fifth Series - August 28th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #10 -  Fifth Series - August 28th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note:
This article is from a parish bulletin for St. Catherine of Siena and St. Michael the Archangel Parishes in DuBois, Pa. It was originally published on July 31, 2022. 

Article:
I was born and raised in St. Marys, Pennsylvania and have come to appreciate the history of my hometown. I remember hearing a story about a Benedictine priest who served in Saint Marys decades ago. According to many people, this priest had a remarkable ability of connecting with the parishioners and a profound awareness of human nature. 

The priest was once asked, “So, how would you describe the people in St. Marys, Pennsylvania?” The priest responded, “the people of St. Marys desire progress but not change.” 

If we were to be completely honest with ourselves, his answer applies to the majority of us. 

I would like to reflect on this priest’s insight with a unique Gospel encounter. Jesus said to Simon and Andrew along the shore, “Come, follow me. I will make you fishers of men” (Mark 1:17). Simon and Andrew were immediately placed at a crossroads: to be changed or not to be changed. For Peter and Andrew, one road led to new adventure and the other road led to the same old, same old. 

The story is a brilliant passage because it captures something which undergirds the whole Christian life. The entire Christian life is built upon this basic truth: we are in need of a savior who desires to change us. His name is Jesus Christ. 

The promise “I will make you” implies change, new adventure, and a new way of seeing and thinking. 

Every one of us desires progress (it’s deep within our American bones), but do we desire change like Christ? Even better, do we desire to be changed by Christ?
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg