GoDuBois.com

Article #3 - Sixth Series - September 18th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #3 -  Sixth Series - September 18th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:
I found that every “best football movie” list has placed the 1993 movie “Rudy” at the top of the charts. I certainly agree with the ratings but it led me to ask “why is Rudy ranked number 1?” 

The movie Rudy is a story of grit, sacrifice, dreams, heartache, family, an underdog, community, tradition, faith, role models, love and so much more. In fact, we either can see ourselves in the person of Rudy or we wish that we could. Therefore, I would like to share a few powerful moments from the movie. 

Rudy (Sean Astin) meets with Fr. Cavanaugh (Robert Prosky) and shares with the priest his desire to go to school at Notre Dame. Fr. Cavanaugh listens to him, sees his passion, and finds a way to give him a chance by attending Holy Cross Junior College. Rudy has high hopes of transferring to Notre Dame after a few semesters with a good GPA. 

A few semesters later, we see Fr. Cavanaugh and Rudy sitting in a church pew. Rudy is frustrated and anxious because his time is running out to be accepted into Notre Dame. Rudy looks at Fr. Cavanaugh and asks, “maybe I haven’t prayed enough?” Fr. Cavanaugh responds, “I’m sure that is not the problem. Praying is something we do on our time. The answers come in God’s time.” Rudy responds, “Have I done everything that I possibly can? Can you help me?” Fr. Cavanaugh responds, “Son, in 35 years of religious study, I’ve come up with only two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God and I’m not him.”

Shortly thereafter, we see Rudy walk into the post office at Holy Cross Junior College. He has an envelope from Notre Dame. Rudy doesn’t immediately open the envelope. Instead, he goes for a walk, sits on a bench, and looks out toward Notre Dame. He then reads the letter. The only words we can hear are “approved” and “accepted.” Rudy begins to cry. We then hear him say “thank God.”

Rudy’s hard work and sacrifice brings the best out of his often difficult and pessimistic father. Rudy runs off to tell his father of the good news at the steel mill. His father, Daniel Ruettiger (Ned Beatty), is speechless. Rudy’s father gets on the loudspeaker and says, “Hey guys, my son is going to Notre Dame!” 

Semesters later, we see Rudy staring out of the tunnel at an empty Notre Dame stadium. Rudy has lost his sense of inspiration and hope. He had worked so hard up to this point: tirelessly studying at Notre Dame for several semesters, getting beat up on the Notre Dame football practice squad, paying his tuition by working with the groundskeeper and even sleeping in the groundskeeper’s office because he can’t afford a room. 

Then, the groundskeeper named Fortune (Charles S. Dutton) notices Rudy in this lost state. Fortune says, “Hey, what are you doing here? Don’t you have practice?” Rudy quietly responds, “Not anymore, I quit.” Fortune then challenges Rudy and opens his eyes to what he has already accomplished despite being the underdog. Fortune also shares with Rudy that he also once quit the Notre Dame football team and not a day goes by that he doesn’t regret it. Rudy, finding himself again, makes a heroic return. 

Rudy doesn’t realize it throughout the movie but he is the one who brings the best out of others. He brings the shepherd out of the priest. He brings the fatherly love out of his dad. He lifts up his community. He brings the best out of his teammates and coaches. He brings the best out of the groundskeeper Fortune. 

Even better, Rudy brings the best out of us. Of course, this is why the movie Rudy is ranked #1 .========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

FrBEN.jpg