GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #27 - September 21st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #27 - September 21st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:
How do we view God?

I think the game of baseball provides four positions that could help us identify how we view God. These four positions are umpire, opponent, teammate, and coach. 

The umpire enforces the rules. He is the one who determines a ball or strike, safe or out, fair or foul, etc. The umpire has the final say on the field. He’s the judge. The umpire only gets close enough to judge, but otherwise stands off in the distance. Do you view God as an umpire? One who simply determines good or evil, moral or immoral, heaven or hell? One who isn’t too close, just close enough to judge us? Is your perspective of God merely one who enforces the rules?

The opponent looks to win and, therefore, defeat the other. The opponent seeks to dominate the other team. The opponent’s chances of winning improve precisely in the measure that the other’s chances decrease. The opponent is constantly competing. It’s a zero-sum game. It’s a constant battle of jockeying for a dominant position. Do you view God as an opponent? One who is seeking to defeat you, put you down, and have you suffer? Do you see yourself in a battle with God? Do you think that as you lose something, God gains something? Like the opponent on the baseball field, do you think God is looking at the scoreboard while doing whatever it takes to adjust it in His favor?

The teammate is one who wears our jersey and knows what it’s like to walk in our cleats. The teammate is with us, whether that be in the dugout or out on the field. The teammate supports, fights, and desires for us to succeed. The teammate practices with us. The teammate rejoices with us when we win and suffers with us when we lose. The teammate picks others up when another is down. Do you view God as a teammate, someone who is with us? God’s name is Emmanuel - God is with us. Jesus says, “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends” (John 15:13-14). Like a teammate, God calls us friends. He has entered into our human condition. He enters into our dugout and plays on our turf. 

The coach is one who instructs, guides and gives hope to the team. He desires what is best for each player. The coach looks at unique talents and abilities while seeing how they can be utilized most effectively. He knows when to give words of encouragement and when to challenge. The coach inspires and takes great delight in seeing others around him succeed and perform at a high level. He demands excellence and often reminds the team of their purpose and goals. Do you view God as a coach, someone who instructs and guides you? Consider the words in Isaiah, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10). Like an effective coach, God is constantly inspiring, guiding, and assisting those around him. 

God is neither against us as a ruthless opponent nor ejecting us as a rule-enforcing umpire; it's precisely in and through Jesus Christ that we see God as a teammate and a coach, playing alongside us and guiding us toward greatness.
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg