GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #28 - October 5th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #28 - October 5th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:  (See attached images)

Recently, I came across my favorite children’s book. It had been almost twenty-five years since I had thought about the story. I believe there were two reasons as to why this happened. 

First, I had a relative reach out about children’s stories for the upcoming birth of a child. Second, I prepared a talk for middle and high school students that included part of my life story. I thought that sharing a favorite children’s story provided a unique view into my past.

The story is entitled “Tim And The Blanket Thief” by John Prater, published in 1993. I remember asking my parents to constantly read this book to my twin brother and me. It is a story about adventure, overcoming fear, and living up to one’s purpose. In other words, it contains all of the elements to capture a young child’s imagination. Think of any great children’s story, it always contains adventure, overcoming fear, and living up to one’s purpose. 

The main character, Tim, is “a shy boy” who “wasn’t very brave.” He “didn’t like noisy, messy fun” or anything that most kids enjoyed doing. Even worse, “he didn’t like big adventures.” He preferred solitude and being comfortable with his blanket. In fact, “he took his blanket everywhere, and kept it close by him.” As a result, other kids would tease him. 

Then, Tim let go of his blanket one night while asleep. The blanket thief, a scary-looking thief to be sure, stole his blanket.  Tim woke up and couldn’t find his blanket. Something deep within Tim was unleashed. He screamed, “Come back, you thief! Give me back my blanket!” Suddenly, Tim was changed. 

Tim left his home in the middle of the night (all by himself) and went on an adventure to catch the thief. Tim didn’t care that it was dark out. He chased the thief through the woods, across a bridge, down a cliff, and even across ocean waters. Tim then climbed a steep mountain and found the thief in his lair. 

Tim could see hundreds of blankets in the thief’s cave. Tim knew that the thief had stolen many other blankets from kids his age. Instead of hiding in fear, Tim stepped out into the open before the blanket thief. Interestingly, as Tim remained confident before the blanket thief, the thief began to disappear. 

Tim then grabbed all of the blankets and traversed back through the ocean waters, up the cliff, across the bridge, through the woods, and back into the town. Of course, Tim was the hero when the other kids received their stolen blankets and other stolen toys.

“Tim And The Blanket Thief” contains many spiritual truths, that’s for sure. Although I couldn’t articulate them as a young boy, my imagination and heart could sense them. Twenty-five years later, I can see why I asked my parents to read that story again and again when I was five or six years old (I can also see why my parents wanted my brother and me to hear the story). It’s an adventure story that includes overcoming fear, service toward others, sacrifice, and mission. It’s a story about change, transformation, and growing up. 

Tim, of course, is you and me. Tim represents all of us who have moments of being shy, fearful, and hesitant to step outside of our comfort zones. In other words, we all carry a blanket (even after childhood). This blanket could be our iPhone, a certain substance, a certain place, a certain hobby, or whatever it may be that we simply hold onto to remain comfortable and avoid an adventure. 

The blanket thief, of course, is fear. “What if I were to lose my blanket?” was the thought that crossed Tim’s mind. By the way, it’s a thought that crosses all of our minds (if we are willing to admit it). Even though the blanket appears to give protection, comfort, and stability, it’s that which holds Tim back from adventure and living his life to the full. 

In a very unique and compelling way, John Prater allows for the blanket thief to be the one who brings out the best in Tim. In other words, sometimes the Lord allows for a fear to present itself to us precisely so that we can overcome it and be strengthened. Young people love to be challenged (and adults do as well). Although Tim didn’t know this, his heart had been hungry for quite some time for an opportunity like chasing down a blanket thief. Tim’s soul had been thirsting for an adventure that the blanket couldn’t offer but the blanket thief could. 

“What if the blanket thief had not stolen Tim’s blanket?” “Would Tim still be clinging to it and missing out on life?” Even as a five or six-year-old, I knew to ask these questions. These questions are part of the brilliance of the story found in “Tim And The Blanket Thief.” 

One of the most challenging insights from Catholicism is that God permits evil to bring about a greater good. The children’s story “Tim And The Blanket Thief” builds upon this basic, Catholic insight. We all can look back on our lives (no matter what adult age we are) and ask, “What if I wouldn’t have encountered that difficulty, tragedy, hardship, heartache, or challenge?” “Would I still be clinging to that blanket, that life of comfort and avoidance of adventure?” Again, the Lord permits many things (including evil) to bring about a greater good. For Tim, the permission of fear led to adventure, courage, service toward others, and purpose. For you, how has good been brought out of difficulty, tragedy, hardship, heartache, or challenge in your life? 

The last line of the story in “Tim And The Blanket Thief” reads, “But even the bravest boy ever still cuddled his blanket for just a little longer.” Even though Tim had encountered a remarkable adventure, faced his fear, and became the hero before all the other children, he still clung to that blanket. Such is the rhythm of life: comfort, fear, overcoming fear, adventure…repeat. The book concludes with a brilliant insight from John Prater: we must constantly choose to overcome fear, to go on adventure, and to live a life of both service and purpose.  

I highly encourage you to return to that favorite children's story from your childhood. Not only will you encounter who you once were but, more importantly, you will see who you can become with the help of God’s grace.
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.10.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.10.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.10.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.10.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.10.37 PM.png