GoDuBois.com

Article #8 -  Sixth Series - October 23rd, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #8 -  Sixth Series - October 23rd, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:

“A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships are built for” - John A. Shedd.

I remember walking into a Pittsburgh hospital roughly ten years ago. An individual in my family was undergoing treatment. There were four paintings on the wall of the visiting area. 

The four paintings were of ships. One painting depicted people building a ship. A second showed a ship in the harbor. A third painting included a ship sailing on the calm sea. The fourth image portrayed a ship in the midst of a terrible storm. Of course, every person who ever enters that waiting room at the hospital can find oneself in one of the four paintings. 

I remember my aunt pulled me aside with my brothers and asked, “which ship painting do you think your grandmother likes the most?” My grandmother lived through World War II. Her husband, my grandfather, served in the Philippines under General Douglas MacArthur. My grandmother was the captain of the national champion Penn State women’s rifle team. She was a lifelong educator, a mother of eight, and Irish blood. 

My brothers and I responded to our aunt, “Grandma likes the painting with the ship in the midst of a storm.” “Yes, she loves that painting,” our aunt responded. 

I don’t think anyone from the greatest generation would choose otherwise. Which painting would you choose? (building a ship, a ship in the harbor, a ship on peaceful waters, or a ship in the midst of a storm)

What image is the Lord calling you to consider right now in your life?
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg