GoDuBois.com

Article #9 - Sixth Series - October 30th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #9 -  Sixth Series - October 30th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:
This Gospel passage (Matthew 5:13-16)  is all about evangelization. Jesus quite often utilizes images to reinforce his teachings. In this passage he uses salt, a city, and a lamp to express his teaching on evangelization. 

By the way, what is evangelization? Evangelization is sharing the good news that Jesus Christ is risen from the dead. Evangelization means that, as a result of the Resurrection, Jesus is Lord. Jesus is Lord of everything: my dreams, relationships, gifts, talents, hopes, worries, fears, aspirations, my past, my present, my future, goals, anxieties, stresses…everything. 

Evangelization is when the Gospel radiates through a human being. Well, what does this look like?

It looks like salt permeating food, improving its taste like a person who encounters the Gospel and permeates her family, her workplace, her friends with Christ. It looks like a city set on a mountain like a person filled with Christ so that others can see that life can be lived at a higher pitch, that we are built for more. It looks like a lamp on a lampstand which casts its light everywhere like a person not ashamed or fearful to share the Gospel. 

Notice, salt, a city on a mountain, and a lamp on a lampstand all radiate out in different ways. Salt permeates, a mountain is visible, and a lamp casts out light into the darkness. Do we live Christian lives which permeate, which are visible, and which cast light into the darkness?

If so, we are evangelizing. If not, we have serious work to do. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg