GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #29 - November 1st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #29 - November 1st, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: This article is a summary of a homily from Fr. Ben Daghir to the DuBois Central Catholic School System. He preached this homily last year on November 1, 2022. 

Article: 
Today we celebrate the Solemnity of All Saints. I have a few questions for us, “Why are we here at a Catholic school?” “What’s the point?” “Why are there Catholic schools, Catholic universities, and Catholic hospitals?” Let’s take the question even further, “Why is there the Catholic Church?”

One reason: to make saints. In other words, to make you a saint.

I have very good news for you. The Catholic Church is really good at forming people into saints. We have saints who are rich and poor, healthy and sick, women and men, children and elderly. We have saints who fought in wars and prevented wars. We have saints who experienced great tragedies and those who didn't. We have saints who struggled to follow the Lord and those who didn't. We have saints who died for others and those who didn't. We have saints who were scientists and others who never learned how to read. We have saints from across the globe and across every century over the past 2,000 years. 

I have another question for you, “Why do you exist?” The answer is rather clear - to become a saint. Have you ever wondered why you have the unique gifts and talents that you do? Certainly, these gifts and talents are not for you alone. Instead, you have been given unique gifts and talents to glorify the Lord. 

Maybe you are very creative, good at writing, compassionate, courageous, and you think outside the box. Maybe you are a natural leader, excellent in the sciences, musically talented, athletic, a good teammate, and you listen well with others. Maybe you have a knack for teaching complex things, you don’t put up with injustices, you take great joy in others around you, and you have a remarkable imagination.

Has it ever occurred to you that you have some of these unique gifts and talents precisely to be a saint? Let me be very clear: you are built for Sainthood. The path of Sainthood is the path of happiness, adventure, and mission. It’s the path of purpose. 

I know that we all have a first and last name. The goal, of course, is to live a life in which “St.” is placed before our name. The whole point of Catholicism is for us to become saints and to enter Heaven. The whole reason why you exist is to become a saint. May this solemnity remind us of who we are called to be. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg