GoDuBois.com

Article #4 -  Seventh Series - December 4th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ - Article #4 -  Seventh Series - December 4th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note:
Fr. Ben Daghir reflects on the scripture passage from the Acts of the Apostles 5:34-42. An important question emerges from the passage, "Is this endeavor of human origin?"

Article:
The reading from the Acts of the Apostles 5:34-42 provides a brilliant insight from Gamaliel, a well-respected Pharisee and teacher of the law. 

Gamaliel informs the Sanhedrin about the apostles of Jesus, “Have nothing to do with these men and let them go. For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself” (Acts of the Apostles, 5:38). 

2,000 years later we continue to receive the same Eucharist as the apostles. The question should be asked, “Is this endeavor (the celebration of the Eucharist) or this activity of human origin?” I think “not” for it would have destroyed itself over the centuries. 

Despite corrupt emperors, plagues, tyrants, world wars, famines, pandemics, governments seeking to eliminate the Church, false ideologies, technological advances, corrupt persons within the Church, etc., the apostolic mission of celebrating the Eucharist continues to this day. Instead of destroying itself, Catholicism has spread across the globe. 

Gamaliel also stated, “But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourselves fighting against God” (Acts of the Apostles, 5:39). There is something remarkable about the sheer fact that Catholicism has been present for over 2,000 years. 

We are one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We receive the Eucharist which is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. It’s the Eucharist that has faithfully been passed down from the apostles to us. 

Jesus said to Peter, “I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18). 

Clearly, we are members of a Church not created by human hands but that which comes from God. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg