GoDuBois.com

Article #5 -  Seventh Series - December 11th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #5 -  Seventh Series - December 11th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note:  
Fr. Ben Daghir reflects on the meaning of advent, specifically through the imagery of a candle. The Catholic Church lights a candle near a wreath each week of Advent. It signifies that the light of the world, Jesus Christ, is coming soon. 

Article:
Look at our Advent wreath candles. We have another candle lit now each week of Advent. These candles deliver a powerful homily. They say to us, “I’m on fire, how about you?” Like the candle, we are built to be a light, to be on fire with Christ. 

The Advent Gospel readings provide us with a similar message. We hear from John the Baptist, “Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.”

We are built to bear fruit. Bearing fruit and the light of the candle give the same message - it’s all about being alive in Christ. These are images of the Christian adventure coming to life. 

On the back wall of St. Marys Seminary & University in Baltimore, it reads “bear fruit, fruit that will remain.” I remember reading the phrase over the course of four years and thinking, “I’m here for that very reason.” The message is not just for seminarians, it’s for all of us. God has high expectations for us. He wants us to be saints and to bear fruit that will remain. 

When I celebrated my first Mass, I remember handing my mother the maniturgium. It is a hand towel with the Holy Chrism oil on it from the priesthood ordination. The tradition indicates that after my mother’s passing, she will encounter Jesus. He will ask her, “What have you done for my Church?” My mother will then hand him the maniturgium and say, “I gave you a priest.” The point could not be more explicit - Jesus demands that we bear fruit. 

I want to ask us an uncomfortable question, “Are we living a life that is currently bearing fruit?” I know that it’s a difficult question but the season of Advent is challenging us with it. Are we bearing fruit? In other words, how are we with our time, talent, and treasure? Do we have a weak spot? Could we bear fruit more authentically? Are we a candle that is burning?

Concerning time, do we adjust our schedules for others? Do we use it wisely or do we waste it? Do we give enough time to God and His Church in such a way that bears fruit?

Concerning talent, do we offer our gifts and unique abilities to others? Do we extend our gifts and talents to the Church in a way that bears fruit?

Concerning treasure, do we extend our resources to others? Do we give back to the Church in a way that bears fruit?

I know that I have some areas to improve in my life in order to bear fruit. I must change. I’m not alone in this regard. The challenge of Advent always comes at a good time for us. 

Did you notice that John the Baptist is preaching about bearing fruit in the midst of a desert? Think about the contrast of the images: fruit and desert. The desert has no fruit. It’s dry and lifeless. Yet, how often does God send us into an area that seems to have no life so that we can bring nourishment, health, and healing to others? Maybe we are being called to step into the desert of someone else's life and allow God to bear fruit through us. Or, perhaps we are stuck in the desert and disconnected from that which bears fruit. Maybe we are in need of someone to extend their time, talent, or treasure to us. 

I’ve intentionally shared a few metaphors in this homily with the hope that one, in particular, might resonate: candlelight, fire, bearing fruit, desert. Allow for one of these images to speak to you. 

There will be a day when we encounter Jesus after we pass from this life. He will ask us, “What have you done for my Church?” May we have fruit to hand Him.
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg