GoDuBois.com

Article #7 -  Seventh Series - December 25th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

Article #7 -  Seventh Series - December 25th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor's Note: Fr. Ben Daghir reflects on a powerful Catholic phrase, “Though our Lord Jesus Christ was rich, he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich.” The season of Christmas reminds us of God's humble descent into our world. 

Article:
“Though our Lord Jesus Christ was rich, he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich.

What do you think of when you hear the word “poverty”? I want that question to sit for a little. What do you think of when you hear the word “poverty”?

Pope Francis has consistently preached that we must be a Church that goes to the margins of society, to the peripheries. What type of poverty does he want us to reach?

Poverty is much like an onion. It has many layers. In fact, the deeper the layer - the more it makes us cry. The pain and suffering only intensify with each layer of poverty unveiled. 

What are these layers of poverty?

The first layer is that of material poverty. It’s a lack of resources: food, water, shelter, materials, etc. It’s the poor man on the street corner with a sign that reads, “Anything will help.” St. John Chrysostom once stated, “If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.” This layer of poverty demands our fullest attention. Yes, Pope Francis wants us to enter into this layer and help others.

Another layer is the poverty of health. We often hear the words “poor health.” This includes physical aches and pains, diseases, physical suffering, cancer, mental suffering such as depression and darkness, etc. This form of poverty can be very debilitating, cribbling, and exhausting. Pope Francis challenges us to enter this poverty layer and care for those around us. 

There is yet a more profound level because we have a soul. This layer is that of spiritual poverty. Remember earlier, the deeper the layer - the more it makes us cry. Spiritual poverty is a painful reality. An individual in spiritual poverty is struggling with profound questions: “Where is God?” “Does God exist?” “What is my purpose?” “Why am I here?” “Did I do something wrong to offend God?” “Am I good enough?” “Am I loved?” “Am I forgiven?” “Am I really made in God’s image and likeness?” Pope Francis challenges us to go to the peripheries, to the margins of society, and to enter into all the layers of poverty. He most certainly means this most painful layer of spiritual poverty. We all have a friend or relative struggling in this layer. Are we willing to step out into the peripheries, into the margins, and reach them?

In the Gospels, we learn that Jesus is Emmanuel which means God is with us. Jesus enters into every layer of poverty. Concerning material poverty, Jesus says “Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head” (Matthew 8:20). Jesus knows what it is like to experience material poverty. Jesus entered our world with “no room in the inn” (Luke 2:7). Jesus had his clothes stripped by the Roman guards on his way to the crucifixion (Matthew 27: 28-30). No home. No clothes. No wealth.

Jesus also entered into the second layer which is physical poverty. He was scourged at the pillar. The nails pierced His hands and feet. The crown of thorns pierced His head. He entered into our physical poverty. He knows what it is like to lack strength, fall, be pinned to the ground, and be enslaved in one’s body. 

Jesus also entered into the deepest layer which is spiritual poverty. After hours in agony on the Cross, Jesus cried out “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). Jesus knows what it is like to feel alone, abandoned, and distant from God. 

The hope is that Jesus lifts us from our poverty so that we may become rich in understanding, compassion, gratitude, and purpose. We can suffer with Him. No matter how difficult and painful our poverty may be and the poverty that we see around us, Jesus is there. Jesus says “What you've done to the least of my brothers and sisters you've done to me” (Matthew 25:40). In other words, where there is poverty there is Christ in the midst of it all. The deeper the layer, the more we cry because of the pain and suffering unveiled. Yet, we encounter Christ crucified in each layer of poverty. We find Him with us. 

Pope Francis is right. We must go to the peripheries, to the margins. We must penetrate the layers of poverty with the Gospel. We must be another Christ to help those around us become rich in faith, hope, and charity. 
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg