GoDuBois.com

Article #8 -  Seventh Series - January 2nd, 2024 by Fr. Ben Daghir

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ - Article #8 -  Seventh Series - January 2nd, 2024 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Article:
I highly encourage people to soak in the Gospel narratives of Christ’s birth. We find the Christmas story in the first and second chapters of Matthew and also in the first and second chapters of Luke. 

My favorite Christmas passage is when the 3 magi visit Jesus. The magi follow the star and find Jesus. They bow down to worship Him as king. Then, they open their gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. The 3 magi then depart from Jesus. 

Here’s my favorite part though: the Gospel of Matthew tells us that the 3 magi “returned home by a different road.”

It’s a subtle line in scripture that we could easily miss. Yet, the passage speaks volumes about an encounter with Jesus. 

Here’s the point - a person never remains the same once he has encountered Jesus. A person never returns to his old ways, paths, or approaches to doing things after meeting Jesus face to face. Instead, Jesus provides a new direction for us, a new worldview, and a new adventure. In other words, we don’t walk in our old footprints anymore. Instead, we take a new road. 

What new road is Jesus calling you to take? Is there a path, an adventure, or an opportunity before you that Jesus is challenging you to consider during this Christmas season?
========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
FrBEN.jpg