GoDuBois.com

Tulips

Victoria

Plant them deep, about 8 inches. Shallower if you are adding mulch which is a good idea. The bulbs will start to grow roots after being put in the ground and will continue to grow them until the ground freezes. Put a bit of fertilizer in the ground with the bulbs. High phosphorus is best. Bone meal is often recommended but I've had it encourage skunks to dig around the bulbs. Everything loves to eat tulips: deer, squirrels and voles. If you think this is going to be a problem you should protect the bulbs or they won't be there next spring. Encasing them in wire is recommended but lining the hole with stones will help. I've noticed that those planted in areas that are bordered by cement or the house foundation seem safer. A lot of my tulips disappear.

Keep them watered after they are in the ground if it is dry. They are down there growing. Mulch them with about 2-3 inches of mulch.

Keep them well fertilized and you should enjoy them for years to come. There are a few types of tulips that aren't particularly hardy in our area but most of them are OK.