GoDuBois.com

Question about my Herb Garden

I have a small indoor herb garden that I have just started to keep. I have had it for about 2 months and it is doing fairly well. However, I am having trouble with these small gnat- looking things. I am concerned that they are bad for the plants. I am really new to this, so is it normal (just annoying to me!) or do I have to do anything to get rid of them? Can I safely get rid of them safely? Thanks for the patients, but I don

I think you are talking about something called fungus gnats. They are the result of very moist conditions and high organic content in the soil. The larvae do some minor feeding on roots and stems but if the plants are healthy they shouldn't cause a problem. Try letting your plants dry out and see if this gets them under control.

Don't water until the soil is dry to the touch when you stick your finger in it. (This is why plant people do not bother with manicures.) Once the soil is dry the larvae will probably all die off and you will have few if any gnats. If that doesn't work there are insecticide drenches and other things you can try. The gnats really are more or less harmless, but a nuisance.