GoDuBois.com

Barrels for watering?

Guest snellma

I have a friend who does the exact same thing.  I should probably start doing that.  Could have filled up the barrel with last night's rain.

I used two rainbarrels all of last year. There are simple instructions on the internet. It only takes about 15 minutes to put in a spigot at the bottom that you can attach a hose to. I couldn't get enough pressure to use a spray nozzle so I just got cheap ($1 each)  buckets from the deli at Brookville Comet and lined them up by the garden and used the hose to fill them. So convenient. Really cut down on my water bill! With these high food prices continuing to soar I may have to have a "Victory Garden" this year if I can keep the animals out.

We use the plastic garbage cans, too. They just seem to be easier to clean and move than metal barrels. I'm going to start watering the orchids with rainwater this summer as both the well water and softened water is supposed to be bad for them.

With the money we put into seeds, plants, fertilizers, fencing and what have you I've never been sure we break even on the vegetables. With the rising prices I think it will be a good investment this year. I'm also going to figure in the price of a membership to the Y or Curves. Don't need that when you garden! ;D

I agree that in the past it might not have been money saving to plant my garden. I think that it will be this year. I am even planting potatoes this year! This will only be the second time that I plant them. I did it once before to see what they were like to grow. This year I am doing it because I can eat potatoes at nearly every year and if kept properly, they can last a long time.

We use the plastic garbage cans, too. They just seem to be easier to clean and move than metal barrels. I'm going to start watering the orchids with rainwater this summer as both the well water and softened water is supposed to be bad for them.

With the money we put into seeds, plants, fertilizers, fencing and what have you I've never been sure we break even on the vegetables. With the rising prices I think it will be a good investment this year. I'm also going to figure in the price of a membership to the Y or Curves. Don't need that when you garden! ;D

I quit planting potatoes because the plants attract potato bugs and the tubers are always scabby. Our soil is naturally acidic and pathogen that causes scab seems to thrive in it. Potatoes certainly aren't as cheap as they used to be and it might be worth trying one of the alternate methods of growing them. I did try them in a barrel once without much success but I think that area of the yard just didn't get the right amount of sun. Planting them in straw sounds interesting.

I plan on planting them tomorrow. The last time that we planted them we also had potato bugs. I had to walk the row at least once a day and pick them off. Do you know of any natural ways to get rid of them?

I quit planting potatoes because the plants attract potato bugs and the tubers are always scabby. Our soil is naturally acidic and pathogen that causes scab seems to thrive in it. Potatoes certainly aren't as cheap as they used to be and it might be worth trying one of the alternate methods of growing them. I did try them in a barrel once without much success but I think that area of the yard just didn't get the right amount of sun. Planting them in straw sounds interesting.

Turn the leaves over and squish the eggs; you get more at a time.

Rodale suggests companion planting with green beans, horseradish, dead nettle, flax, catnip, coriander, nasturtium, and tansy. I've never tried it but it couldn't hurt. There is supposed to be a Bt for potato beetles now but you would probably have to send for it. Other than that the only thing I can suggest is an organic insecticide. (Grandpa always used lime on the leaves.)