GoDuBois.com

Rockton and Ohiopyle

rich00

Rockton is a village in Union Township resting along Anderson Creek at the Brown Springs Trailhead in the Moshannon State Forest.

Rockton has natural assets similar to Ohiopyle in Fayette County.

The Rockton-Bridgeport corridor compares favorably to the Ohiopyle-Confluence corridor of the Great Allegheny Passage in location, topography, whitewater classification, water trail, vertical drop, put-in, take-out, history, railroad accessibility and nearby assets.

The Cumberland-Frostburg corridor of the Great Allegheny Passage features a ride on a steam locomotive with bicycle storage, ascending from Cumberland to Frostburg on a 15-mile trip.  The trail downhill to Cumberland is a

rockton_and_ohiopyle_8282.jpg

cumberland_frostburg_trail_5908.jpg

anderson_creek_greenway__668.jpg

Guest constructionguy34

I used to live an hour from Ohiopyle.  I would certainly recommend it to any sort of cyclist, hiker, rafter.  It is a beautiful place.

About 18 years ago my friend David Spuck and I took a hike from Continental road above Sabula down the ridge to Winterburn and returned up the valley through Hickeyville on the old railroad grade there was seven very nice large beaver dams on the way back, we also seen many bobcat tracks and several Coyotes running away from us. About all that is left of Hickeyville is the big foundation pad the water tower for the railroad used to stand on.