GoDuBois.com

Explosions & Fire Collapse I-95 Bridge in Philadelphia

Bon

NEWS

Explosions & Fire Collapse I-95 Bridge in Philadelphia

Office of the Governor of Pennsylvania 

I’ve been briefed by PA Emergency Management Agency, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), and PA State Police on the I-95 fire and collapse in Philadelphia.

95-bridge-collapse.jpg?resize=861%2C434&

State Police and PEMA are on the scene assisting local first responders and PA Secretary of Transportation and his team are en route to assess the situation and address traffic needs.

Lt. Governor Austin Davis and I are closely coordinating with partners in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and the federal government and we will share more information as we have it.

For now, please avoid the area and follow the direction of the first responders on the scene.

Vehicle fire causes part of Interstate 95 in Philadelphia to collapse, closing main East Coast artery.

Avehicle fire shut down I-95 in both directions after an elevated portion of the heavily traveled interstate collapsed in Philadelphia on Sunday morning, state officials said, raising concerns about possible travel headaches throughout the Northeast.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation said the vehicle fire closed all lanes between Exit 25 and Exit 32, which includes Allegheny Avenue, Castor Avenue, Academy road and Linden Avenue.

Philadelphia Fire Department Captain Derek Bowmer said emergency crews responded shortly before 6:30 a.m. local time after receiving a report of a vehicle being on fire on the interstate. Reports indicated that the vehicle may have been a tanker truck, but that has not been confirmed. 

The fire is under control and city and state officials are "responding to address impacts to residents in the area and travelers affected by the road closure," the state fire department said in a statement to USA TODAY. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Interstate 95 is the main north-south highway on the East Coast and stretches from Florida through Maine to Canada.

"Travelers should expect delays and plan alternative travel routes, especially while planning for their weekday commute," the City of Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management said.

Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg said he was monitoring the fire and collapse and was in touch with the governor and Federal Highway Administration to offer "help with recovery and reconstruction."

How did the section of I-95 in Philadelphia collapse?

Bowmer said runoff from the fire or compromised gas lines caused explosions underground. Because of heat from the fire, Bowmer said the northbound lanes were gone and the southbound lanes were "compromised."

"Today’s going to be a long day. And obviously, with 95 northbound gone and southbound questionable, it’s going to be even longer than that," said Dominick Mireles, director of the Philadelphia OEM