GoDuBois.com

Amaryllis and grapes

Beautiful Amaryllis!

What kind of grapes? We just planted baby grapes vines this spring, they look really healthy so far, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they stay that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on protecting baby grapes from the winter? Should I cover them with straw or something, anything....that will protect them?  

Like that amaryllis. It's one of the more uncommon ones.

Concord grapes grow just fine without mulching in zone 5. It wouldn't hurt to mulch some of the others over the winter. Do it after the ground freezes if you can. It will keep the ground frozen and baby plants from heaving out should we have one of those winters where it freezes and thaws. Straw will do just fine or bark or ever pine branches.

Muscadines (Yuk)

And double yuk!

"And the word muscat derives from the Latin muscus, which describes the smell of a male musk deer. The early settlers called the sweet, musk-scented wild grapes that they found here by the same name as the sweet grapes they had known in Europe, and that eventually became muscadine."

Guest snellma

A lot of people make jelly and wine out of them.  I tried the jelly one year but it tasted horrible.  I don't think they have a good taste once they are cooked down.  I can eat them right off the vine, but you have way too many for that.  Jetta - I'm sure you could find a bunch of people that would take them.