GoDuBois.com

Unknown perennial vine?

Petee

I've been trying to find out the name of this vine for many years!  I found it at two homes here in DuBois (one on W. Weber and another on Long Ave) but neither occupant had any idea what it was.  One elder woman said she thought she had once seen a bean pod on it but the other elder woman said she has never seen any sort of a flower or seed pod.  Her vine was over 40 years old.

I did get cutting which may or may not root.  The vines have been used in the three homes I've seen it for the ends of porches as sun screens and privacy screens because you cannot see through it.  It gets to 10 feet as far as I can see and the mature leaf is approxin=mately 6"W and 8" long....bright green.

I'm going to continue to check the ones at both locations for any insignificant flowers through the rest of this year.  

Any ideas?

Guest madre

Anything like this?  We had a mysterious vine show up one year with a transplanted rose bush.  Took me all summer to identify it as Japanese Hops.

post-2932-13623823370183_thumb.jpg

Nope, this is a perfectly heart shaped leaf.  I need to take a picture.

I was coming through Big Run today and saw it on a porch on the right side of the road on an old house.  It's on the Sykesville side of Big Run.

You got it!  I've always thought it wasn't hardy around here but when I searched it, it is hardy in zones 4-8.  Hot Dog!  Another mystery solved.

By the way, you have my favorite bug on your avatar!  Before I finally found out what they were I called them flying lobsters!