GoDuBois.com

pickles

DrSeussie

All this talk about gardening has made me hungry for pickles. Awhile back on the main message board there was a thread for Clausen-type pickles, but it must have been purged and I can't find my recipe. I remember soaking the cucumbers in a salt brine over night. I googled it, but nothing is close.

Guest snellma

Hi Snellma, got your garden in yet?

I am ashamed to say NO.  I still don't even have it tilled.  Maybe this weekend.  The weather has been horrible - either raining or too cold.  Then my husband was sick for about 6 weeks with the flu and pneumonia and the doctor told him he wasn't allowed to do anything.  In a way I am kind of glad I didn't since we had some frosts and freezes this past week.  I think we are safe now so hopefully next week I will be able to report that things are planted.

Guest snellma

Ok  - I have an update.  I got my garden tilled this evening and does it ever look good.  I have the most beautiful dark blackish-brown soil in town I think.  Now I can't wait to get something planted.  We still have to go get some rolls of black matting to keep the weeds out before I plant but at least I can get it all racked and ready to go.

Sorry to hear that your husband wasn't well. That can put a crimp in the roto-tilling. Good soil is a blessing I wish I had some. I went to a program where Rusty Orner (I'm sure you know Orner's Farm. He's one of those Orners) discussed worms and no-till planting. I think it would be a good thing where the clay is so closed to the surface as it is in my back yard. But then what would my husband do with that big rototiller that hooks on to that big tractor?

My plants are just getting their true leaves and I'm putting them in bigger pots. I've got 4 kinds of cabbage. Sort of a mistake. They were acquired while searching for the kind I really like. Also have German Green tomato this year. It is one of the best tasting tomatoes I've ever grown but no one wants to eat it because of the color.

Keep us posted as to how things are growing in the South.

Guest snellma

I know Rusty very well.  Our families were best friends and I graduated with Rusty.  This week we hope to bury the soaker hose and get the black weed mat laid.  They I can get the peas in.

Aren't those soaker hoses a great thing? I don't use them in the garden because with the well I can't really do all that much watering but when I have a bunch of plants for the garden club sales I drape those soaker hoses over them and it saves a lot of time. I use them in the green house too.

Do you mulch over the weed mats? The black absorbs heat and I cooked my cauliflower one year with black plastic. Great for tomatoes though.

What Rusty is up to currently: http://www.quietcreekherbfarm.com/

Guest snellma

It's the only way we can keep the garden watered down here.  If you have a sprinkler half of it evaporates into the air and it would need to run most of the day to get 1/2 inch wet.  By burying the soaker hose under the ground and close to the rows the roots are getting the water they need.

I have never mulched over the weed mats but it hasn't seemed to bother anything.  I will have to keep that in mind though - especially since I plan on planting broccoli and cauliflower this year.

I had heard that Rusty owned a herb place from some family members.  Thanks for sharing the website.

Cauliflower and broccoli are tricky. I usually have no problem with them as the nights are cool out here under the trees. I've had people in DuBois tell me that they can't grow them. A couple of miles closer to the city can make all the difference.

I don't know if there are varieties that are more heat tolerant or not. If they sell the plants in the South you should at least have a fighting chance at growing them. Maybe a bit of shade would help. People tell me that they grow lettuce way into summer by giving it some shade.

Guest snellma

I had planned on putting it at the end of the garden where there is a little shade for that reason.  If it goes - great.  If not, I really haven't lost much.  I never had any problems growing it back home but I know this area is very different.

Oh, by the way - I am going to pick strawberries on Thursday.  They started picking last week.  That should make every one jealous.

I got my 'Graffiti' cauliflower in the mail today. It must have been back ordered. It is awfully late to get it started but it is the purple one and it is such fun to grow. Guess I'll give it a try.

Which by the way you can make great pickles out of cauliflower.