GoDuBois.com

Favorite Tomato?

klsm54

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got about 3/4 of my garden planted over the last two days. One more day and I should be done.

Ok, OK, I'm going! I've been lazy. Hubby is retilling right now. He tilled early for the peas, lettuce, onions, spinach and stuff. (Lettuce is almost ready!) Weeds are up and running. Soon as he's done I'll start on the cole crops. Brussel sprouts look nice this year.

Cucumbers and Broccoli went in yesterday. The rest were plants that do better in warm/hot weather. I may have jumped the gun a bit. It seems cool tonight.

Ok, OK, I'm going! I've been lazy. Hubby is retilling right now. He tilled early for the peas, lettuce, onions, spinach and stuff. (Lettuce is almost ready!) Weeds are up and running. Soon as he's done I'll start on the cole crops. Brussel sprouts look nice this year.

Got broccoli, cabbage (red and green), cauliflower and brussel sprouts in. I put in a few of the Graffiti cauliflower. It is purple and cooks to a pink. Watch them poke that one with a fork and say, "ewww!".

I forgot to soak  the seeds last night. If I don't coat them with something foul smelling the critters eat them. I'll check the soil temperature today but I'm betting it is still too cold to put in squash and stuff.

Tomato transplants are out and hardening off. Peppers and eggplant look too small to go out. (Except the weird yellow one from South America.)  Got them in late. Too cold for them anyway. It was 36 this morning.

Guest snellma

Brrrrr.  It won't be long before our gardens are done and you are all just barely getting yours in  :o

Got broccoli, cabbage (red and green), cauliflower and brussel sprouts in. I put in a few of the Graffiti cauliflower. It is purple and cooks to a pink. Watch them poke that one with a fork and say, "ewww!".

I forgot to soak  the seeds last night. If I don't coat them with something foul smelling the critters eat them. I'll check the soil temperature today but I'm betting it is still too cold to put in squash and stuff.

Tomato transplants are out and hardening off. Peppers and eggplant look too small to go out. (Except the weird yellow one from South America.)  Got them in late. Too cold for them anyway. It was 36 this morning.

Lavender,  do  you think that it's too cold  to plant the peppers  and  tomatoes?  I planted  my  green  and wax  beans,  cukes   and  some  more  beets   over the weekend, was   it  too cold   the last  two nights  for them?  God, I hope not!  Back to the peppers  and tomatoes...I went looking  for  some over  the  weekend,  and  they were  all sooo  small.  I've been  panicking  a  little  thinking that  I  won't  get any  to  plant!

Is  your  group  having  a  sale this year?  If so, when and where?

Sorry again  for  the  misjointed   typing,  darn  keyboard!

The Down to Earth Garden Club sale was the 10th and 11th of May but we'll be at the Farmer's Market. Too bad you missed it, we had 6 truckloads of perennials. Sold most of them too! I'll post when we will be there since we don't do every week. We're thinking about concentrating on the month of July this year.

I don't think there is a problem with seeds being put in now. They will sit there until the soil is warm enough to germinate. It has to be getting close. I keep forgetting to check.  I put beets in weeks ago. Cold doesn't hurt them.

Tomatoes and pepper plants just won't do anything as long as the nights are this cold. At least they don't at my house. We are still having spotty frosts so it depends on where you live. The tomatoes would probably survive but a slight frost and the peppers are toast.

The Down to Earth Garden Club sale was the 10th and 11th of May but we'll be at the Farmer's Market. Too bad you missed it, we had 6 truckloads of perennials. Sold most of them too! I'll post when we will be there since we don't do every week. We're thinking about concentrating on the month of July this year.

I don't think there is a problem with seeds being put in now. They will sit there until the soil is warm enough to germinate. It has to be getting close. I keep forgetting to check.  I put beets in weeks ago. Cold doesn't hurt them.

Tomatoes and pepper plants just won't do anything as long as the nights are this cold. At least they don't at my house. We are still having spotty frosts so it depends on where you live. The tomatoes would probably survive but a slight frost and the peppers are toast.

Darn, I missed your  sale!  We  just  made   another  flower  bed  8'  x   4'  and  I planted  a  few  perennials, but  I'm  looking for  some  more.  Later  this year, we're going  to   finish the  other  half   in the  back  of  the  house  landscaping.  I'll have  another  bed   about  12'  x  6'.  A   friend of mine is  going  to  get  me  some perennials   from  her   cousin, so I hope  to  finish the small  bed  over the next  two  weeks.

Thanks for  all of  the  advice, I truly do  appreciate  all of your help! :)

If there is anything special you want there is a good chance I can get it for you. We'll be thinning out all summer both from our own yards and the beds we maintain for the city. What we don't sell off by the end of summer we will winter over. That is why we have such a large number of perennials in the spring.

Got my Brandy Boy plants from Burpee's last week. Pleasantly surprised....  8)  They were very healthy, nice thick stems and arrived in good shape.

That's the first time I ever mail ordered plants. Certainly not for you big gardeners, but I only put a few plants out. A little pricey but I'd do it again to try something I can't get around here, or that I waited too long to start myself.

Guest snellma

Here is a picture of one of my clumps of tomatoes and one of my baby squash.  I posted some news that will make some of you jealous on the general message board under the frost warning thread.  I won't repeat myself here so you will have to go over there to read it.

post-614-13623823388283_thumb.jpg

post-614-1362382338864_thumb.jpg

I'd post pictures of my vegetable garden but you would have to magnify them to see the plants. I got green beans, yellow beans and two kinds of cucumbers in today. Also a dozen yellow Brazilian eggplants. I'm going to have to buy regular eggplant plants as mine are only an inch or so high. It will have to be Ichiban or something with a similar short growing season. It's too cold out here to get really good eggplant and peppers. Maybe I'll move to South Carolina.

Guest snellma

I couldn't get a pepper out of my garden if I wanted to.  Well, let me rephrase that.  I couldn't get a bell pepper if I wanted to.  Something is chewing the heck out of my pepper plants.  Every time I get one little bloom it is eaten.  I have been trying to keep them dusted, but it just isn't working.  I can't see what seems to be eating them but they are getting a good feast.  They haven't touched my hot bananas or my jalapenos though.  At first I thought it was slugs, but I haven't seen the first one or any slim.  Any ideas?

Read this: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PI040  We don't have things like the pepper weevil, or the western flower thrips here (Knock on wood!) but if they have them in Florida maybe you have them too. Nothing eats peppers in my yard except the deer and they get the whole plant.

Can't you see anything on the plant? Some caterpillars might eat pepper plants, I guess.  

Guest snellma

Yes, they are eating the blossoms and the leaves.  I haven't looked underneath the leaves so I will be sure to do that today.  I will try to take a picture and post it also so you can see what I am taking about.  It may be that pepper weevil, but I haven't even been able to get one pepper.  I mean they just chew the leaves down till there is nothing left of them.  New ones start to grow and if I don't dust them immediately those leaves get eaten.

Floating row covers really work for keeping off insects but are a bit of a pain and also an expense. I haven't used them since I lost my hoops one winter.  The poor gardener's floating row cover is a large transparent plastic jug with the bottom cut out. I've used them on eggplant to keep off the flea beetles. They work well here and don't cook the plants but it might be too hot for them further south.

Got my Brandy Boy plants from Burpee's last week. Pleasantly surprised....  8)  They were very healthy, nice thick stems and arrived in good shape.

That's the first time I ever mail ordered plants. Certainly not for you big gardeners, but I only put a few plants out. A little pricey but I'd do it again to try something I can't get around here, or that I waited too long to start myself.

Let us know how they grow. I've planted Brandywine tomatoes and I'm guessing that Brandyboy is a near relative. If you like odd tomatoes check out this catalogue http://www.totallytomato.com/ I've ordered all sorts of seeds from them but never plants. It's fun just to read about the different colors and shapes of tomatoes. Peppers, too!

I just wish I could find a pepper that would fruit here with our cold nights.

Guest snellma

Ok, here are my pepper plants.  After picking some mild banana peppers I am beginning to think it might be that weevel thing.  I have holes in my banana peppers and the insides are being eaten.  I can't get my bell peppers to even get that far.

post-614-13623823388778_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823388948_thumb.jpg

Let us know how they grow. I've planted Brandywine tomatoes and I'm guessing that Brandyboy is a near relative. If you like odd tomatoes check out this catalogue http://www.totallytomato.com/ I've ordered all sorts of seeds from them but never plants. It's fun just to read about the different colors and shapes of tomatoes. Peppers, too!

I just wish I could find a pepper that would fruit here with our cold nights.

Thanks for the link, an interesting site.

I'm not able to do much gardening these days, but I used to grow a lot of peppers. Or maybe I should say I grew a lot of pepper plants...  ;D  I always planted 4 or 5 varieties of hot peppers and a couple of sweet peppers. When we would have that rare year that the weather was right, they all produced well. But it seemed like 2-3 years of very small pepper yields for every good year. Peppers around here can certainly try ones patience.

Ok, here are my pepper plants.  After picking some mild banana peppers I am beginning to think it might be that weevel thing.  I have holes in my banana peppers and the insides are being eaten.  I can't get my bell peppers to even get that far.

All I can say is that it is something that chews like caterpillars or slugs but if it is eating out the inside of peppers without making big holes on the outside that can't really be what it is. You have weird bugs in South Carolina and need someone who is local to help you out. Don't you work for a university? Try the horticultural or entomology departments or I'm sure you have a County Extension Service somewhere.  This one is out of my league.

Thanks for the link, an interesting site.

I'm not able to do much gardening these days, but I used to grow a lot of peppers. Or maybe I should say I grew a lot of pepper plants...  ;D  I always planted 4 or 5 varieties of hot peppers and a couple of sweet peppers. When we would have that rare year that the weather was right, they all produced well. But it seemed like 2-3 years of very small pepper yields for every good year. Peppers around here can certainly try ones patience.

And I thought it was just me.  ;D