GoDuBois.com

Prevent squirrels from eating your tulips

Petee

This is one of the tips that I send out daily to the B.U.D.S. members.  Sometimes I add more tips of my own at the end in red.  To get these, you just have to send me an e-mail address.

Content provided by

The National Gardening Association.

Squirrels consider tulip bulbs to be the equivalent of candy. There are several things you can try, but if there are a lot of squirrels where you live it may be better to plant daffodils instead. You can try: dipping the bulbs in a mole and rodent repellent just prior to planting; applying a repellent spray to the mulch over the planting area; watering the area repeatedly immediately after planting to settle the soil well; covering the area with wire mesh or old window screens to cage them out; or encase the bulbs in wire mesh cages before burying them.

You can also make a basket of chicken wire in which to plant a cluster of tulips.  The leaves will just grow right up through the wire.  It all depends on the value of the bulbs and how badly you want to see them in the spring.  

Also, don't forget to give your old tulips a hefty dose of Bonemeal right now.  It provides lots of food for them to live out the winter without stimulating fall growth.

Best wishes,

Cheryl