GoDuBois.com

New Lyme bacteria discovered in U.S.

Bon

he CDC Is reporting the discovery of a new species of bacteria (Borrelia mayonii)  that causes Lyme disease in people. Until now,  only one species (Borrelia burgdorferi)  was believed to cause Lyme disease in North America.

Scientists at the Mayo Clinic  first suspected the possibility of new bacteria after lab tests from 6  people with suspected Lyme disease produced unusual results, 

According to the report, based on the small number of patients identified, while both types of Lyme bacteria cause flu-like symptoms,  the most recent one discovered also results in nausea, vomiting, and a diffuse rash, compared to B. burgdorferi  which causes the single "bulls-eye" rash. So far, the new Lyme species found only in upper midwest

The new species was not identified in any of the approximately 25,000 blood samples from residents of 43 other states with suspected tickborne disease taken during the same period, including states in the northeast and mid-Atlantic region where Lyme disease is common.

All 3 of my dogs get the immunization for Lyme's because ALWAYS in the woods and Minnie has SEVERE reactions to any topic chemical based flea/tick repellent (I use all natural collars on all 3 for almost 2 years now and only 1 tick got by!). Unfortunately, the vet told us the other day that Lyme's is the least of your worries now a days with tick born illnesses, there are more severe viruses they carry that cannot be treated or prevented in any way. Just a word to the wise for all pet owners, the next vet visit, have the heart worm/tick borne pathogens panel ran, it's a sensitive enough test to detect the other types of viruses ticks carry. And for those who don;t believe heart worm is in the area, not true as many people are moving north (especially since Katrina and all those displaced animals) and bringing their pets who are not treated. I really don't like to allow my dogs to play with other dogs that I don't know how well they are cared for, especially after it cost me over $150 to treat all 3 for hookworm that Minnie got from playing with the puppy that used to live next door that they never took care of or vetted.