GoDuBois.com

HIGHLAND STREET TRAIN TUNNEL

soccermom

I know the Highland Street Tunnel was discussed on here not too long ago but does anyone know the history of the tunnel?

I know it was built in 1903 but I would like to know if the tunnel had a real name, what rail line went through it, where that line originated and ended, etc.

It seems like it could provide a very good piece of local history.

Is that the old tunnel, that sits down below Hillcrest Drive? The track crossing was at the foot of where S. Third became Hillcrest....

That used to be one heck of an area for fossil studies for kids.    The natural shale was great for them.

We used to find tons of em!  In fact, when I was in the 8th grade, our science teacher, took us all on a field trip to the tunnel, for a fossil hunt on the shale hills!

Thanks for the info on the B & O Railroad.

I know the original rail bed ran North to Maple Avenue and across the bridge and over to Sandy Lick Creek. I don't know if it ran up to Sabula or down to Falls Creek from there.

Southbound it goes behind Triangle Springs and down towards Sykesville (maybe Helvetia Mines).

That is right below my house. When I was a kid, we used to go down there all the time. That's because, my great-grandpa had a "house" down there and a large garden. I wouldn't advise it now though. I know alot of you think I am crazy for saying to stay away from there, it is getting kind of dangerous. The brush where my grandpa had the garden is so overgrown that it's unreal.

we used to go up to the tunnel and play.  the hobo's had a camp there when they would get off or on the trains.

used to be alot to trains that would travel through there.  we had a alot of fun playing there

WOW, THAT WAZ GOOD IMFO BOUT THE CAMP, I DIDNT NO THAT..

I might add for the fossil hunters, go to the Sabula lower tunnel and go through it to the other side. A long time ago the far end caved in so they just dig into the hill till they got a place for a new header and they laid a stone wall on each side of the tracks. the walls taper from the tunnel head down to nothing, if you get on the walls and go up the bank there is fossils galore. I have sections of fern trees and some pieces that are from some critters back bone and also some large, what look like eggs, I sawed one in half with a masonry blade and the center looks like a yoke. Also there a lot of Brachopods, 250 billion year old snails

We used to fossil hunt at the Highland Street Tunnel all the time.  The school was not there and you could not get to Hillcrest like you can now when I was growing up.  That was all just a big field and woods.

I grew up on Rainbow Drive, off of Hillcrest, and there used to be an old trail that led down to the tunnel, and we'd go there and fossil hunt.  When my 8th grade science teacher got wind of the fossils, she organized the day trip for everyone.  It was great.  I may have to go up and park and walk back the old tracks maybe...if its not too grown over, just to see the change....for better or worse....

We used to fossil hunt at the Highland Street Tunnel all the time.  The school was not there and you could not get to Hillcrest like you can now when I was growing up.  That was all just a big field and woods.

All part of the Van Tassel property.  I love that big old house.

I know the Highland Street Tunnel was discussed on here not too long ago but does anyone know the history of the tunnel?

I know it was built in 1903 but I would like to know if the tunnel had a real name, what rail line went through it, where that line originated and ended, etc.

It seems like it could provide a very good piece of local history.

My dad, now in his 90's worked for the B&O....when I was a kid, that was the railroad here....over where Rescar is now, was the B&O, and before that, according to my dad, it was The Great Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad.....once B&O and C&O merged to form Chessie System, my dad decided it was time to retire.  He was a 'B&O' man through and through.

I think dad said that the tunnels were designated by numbers more than names, but I could be wrong.

That's where my grandpa worked as well. The B & O!!!!!!! If you guys do go down there, just becareful. There are alot of weeds and all kinds of stuff. Like I said That property right by the ol' tracks still belongs to my grandpa, and he used to drive his truck down there and cut the brush all the time, now, since he's not in that great of health, he hasn't gone down.  Kittymomma, does your family still live up there?

That's where my grandpa worked as well. The B & O!!!!!!! If you guys do go down there, just becareful. There are alot of weeds and all kinds of stuff. Like I said That property right by the ol' tracks still belongs to my grandpa, and he used to drive his truck down there and cut the brush all the time, now, since he's not in that great of health, he hasn't gone down.  Kittymomma, does your family still live up there?

No, its been many years since I lived there.