GoDuBois.com

The Otocsin Project in Clearfield County

rich00

The Otocsin Project in Clearfield County

Otocsin was born upon recognition that Clearfield County had the only state-owned land traversed by I-80 in Pennsylvania. In 1964, the Otocsin Project  (1962-1975) was launched as part of the Project 70 initiative along with projects at Prince Gallitzin, Moraine State Park and Shenango Reservoir, Black Moshannon and Blanchard Reservoir, Ohiopyle-Great Meadows and the Kinzua Dam-Allegheny National Forest.  Otocsin

otocsin_du_bois_resort_5149.jpg

otocsin_1_9539.jpg

otocsin_2_4075.jpg

The good folks in Curwensville and Clearfield refer to the Du Bois Reservoir as the "Anderson Creek Reservoir."  Similarly, so does the Clearfield Progress.  The Du Bois Reservoir will soon be a secondary water supply for the City of Du Bois, allowing for weekend recreational releases down Anderson Creek for kayaking.  Du Bois took a big hit over 40 years ago for holding up the development of tourism in the PA Wilds when it fought to conserve the Anderson Creek Watershed.  But our stubborness paved the way for an Anderson Creek Conservation Area, with passenger rail and trail from Du Bois to Clearfield.  Green jobs and a green economy for the Du Bois region.  It'll be worth it, and a legacy for our children.

du_bois_reservoir_8712.jpg

DuBois purchases land to improve water resources

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

By Josh Woods Staff Writer

DUBOIS - The City of DuBois announced it has purchased 1,262 acres of land near its water filtration plant in an effort to improve its water resources. Mayor John "Herm" Suplizio said the purchase was made from NRI Corp. and includes timbering rights.

"We've been talking about it for the last three to four years - we're looking for an alternate source of water," said Mr. Suplizio. "We're looking to move in that type of direction. ... We feel it better protects us from the watershed and things like that."

Since that time the City has begun drilling new water wells which will be completed in the near future.

"Shale offers DuBois, Sandy opportunity"

09/04/2009, Courier Express

"Sandy Township and the City of DuBois are looking for ways to benefit from the gas rush that has taken over the region - each in their own way.At the DuBois Area Chamber of Commerce's Business Over Breakfast Thursday, DuBois Mayor and acting city Manager John "Herm" Suplizio said DuBois is "right smack dab in the middle of it" as far as Marcellus shale gas drilling is concerned. The city owns 5,000 acres of land near the reservoir that has been a twinkle in the eyes of gas companies for about two years. "We are of interest to these people, and we have been in talks about them drilling for gas on our property," Suplizio said. "That's a very nice income for the city of DuBois. It will keep the tax base down."

Suplizio added for the last six months to one year, the city has been selling water for Marcellus Shale drilling in S.B. Elliott State Park. About 10 to 12 million gallons of water has been sold so far.  In July, the city bought 1,262 acres of land for $2.1 million across from the water filtration plant with the goal of drilling water wells. The city wants to drill the wells because even though the reservoir has been a pertinent water source for DuBois, the water has limited usages because it is in the Susquehanna Basin Watershed. According to Suplizio, the city is only allowed to use 2.1 to 2.3 million gallons of water a day from the reservoir, and currently it's almost at that capacity. "Hopefully, someday, we can use the water wells as our primary source of water. It will be easier to treat," Suplizio said. "Then, we can use our reservoir as a backup."

When the city bought the land, its hope was to drill four wells that would have 300 to 400 gallons of water per minute. Although tests haven't been done yet, on the two wells which have been drilled, Suplizio said it looks like they have the capacity of 800 to 1,000 gallons of water per minute.

"In all honesty, it's going to be able to handle any growth that comes into the area because we will now have both the wells and the reservoir to support us," Suplizio said. "The water is there, and it is amazing what we found."

Although these wells could be up-and-running by spring, it will take one to two years to get to the point where the water can be used because of permitting.

"Water is the future," Suplizio said. "Water is going to be what gasoline is today. Ten to 20 years from now I can't imagine what it is going to be like. That's why we have to secure it now."

We will drink recycled sewer water so the kayakers can have their fun.

You know, I have been curious about the issue of wells. The drinking water in DuBois has always been very good. Then we hear that water usage is way up and we're going to drill wells. I wonder to myself why water usage would be up when this area hasn't grown and I don't think we're releasing much more than we had in the past. Then we find out that gas drilling companies are buying water from the reservoir. I am, and have always been very concerned about this.