GoDuBois.com

2012 Late Blight is here!

Petee

I checked my tomatoes last week and noticed a very slight brown dusting on one of the stems.  Checked them 6 days later and every plant was dead and the tomatoes ruined.  Late Blight.

Now, I know what I did wrong and I know what my husband did wrong, but there's no fixing it this year.  The plants are pulled and in the process of being destroyed, and I found a great green tomato recipe that I put in the Recipe (Casserole) Section.  We had company for dinner who didn't like green tomatoes but politely tried it anyway and raved about how good it was.  I agree.  I was questioning whether it would be good and it was a hit!  That one is a keeper.

The tomatoes can be safely used fresh or cooked but NOT canned because the PH level can be off for safe canning.  Just wash the fresh tomatoes in a 9-1 bleach mixture before using because you never know who can be allergic to what.  Don't use them if you can actually see brown lesions.

To prevent late blight, you can do preventive spraying with a product that contains chlorothalonil. I buy mine at a local feed store that has a convenient drive through. Other feed stores and garden supply stores should have it also.

I get the 32 ounce concentrate and mix it in a 2 gallon sprayer. I am still using up a bottle from last year. It needs to be sprayed every 7 to 10 days. Follow label instructions.