GoDuBois.com

Amaryllis question

Bon

ok, I have planted Amaryllis before and have had them bloom 4 times a year. I just read the box and it says that you should plant them every 2-3 years, so they can dry out between plantings. Why??? If I can get them to bloom swveral times, I don't see why they need that many years to buff up the bulbs.

Does anyone else get theirs to bloom many times a  year or am I the only one who does this? I don't dig mine up when they are done blooming. I let them rest in the pot, let  it dry out for about 2 weeks, then start watering again. and it grows again.

Never argue with success. If you have them blooming 4 times a year you are doing much better than anyone else I know. Most of us let them rest for more than two weeks but if it works for you stay with it. I let them rest from fall to spring because I want to stick them outside after they are done blooming. Can't be bothered with keeping them growing during the winter.

It sounds as though the box is suggesting that you stagger the planting (or the removal of them from wherever you let them go dormant) so you have continuous bloom with one or two plants blooming all the time. No way do you want to let them dry for 2-3 years and leaving them in the pot is the recommended way to store.  

I'm going to keep doing what I have done for years. I have told many people that you an get them to rebloom and they didn't know that. Most say they throw them out when they are done blooming. What a waste of a very nice flower!!!