GoDuBois.com

Daffodil inquiry

I bought some daffodils yesterday, and the poor things are growing out the bottom of their pot.  Is it safe to put them in the ground now, or should I wait a little longer in case it gets cold again?  Also, do I need to do anything special for them, or just dig a hole and plant them?  Thanks! :)

Daffs won't freeze but if they are in bloom the flowers will. Other than digging at this time of year is messy because the ground is so wet, I can't see any reason that you shouldn't put them out now. My daffs are in bud.

Put them in the same depth that they are planted in the pot. You will probably have blooms from them next year.

An afterthought: they may simply go dormant due to shock. If that happens they will probably be fine but may not bloom next year. You could acclimatize them by putting them out for a bit longer each day until they get used to the cold.

You can successfully revive daffodils that have already bloomed in their pots at the store.  Feed them bone meal right in the pot till the tops die off.  Then separate and transplant them to a planting bed.  Next year they should reward you with blooms, and if you keep them fed properly, (bone meal in the fall and bulb food in the spring) they should multiply through the years.