GoDuBois.com

hoya

dyna99

I captured a picture of my hoya in bloom.......this plant is over 20 yrs old and this is only the 2nd time it has bloomed..........and only 1 bloom each time.....what should I be doing to get more out of this plant? I do have a start of it hanging outside on my porch.......this plant that gave birth to the bloom is too big to keep moving in and out........

hoya_9069.jpg

Don't cut off the spur that is left when the flowers fall off.  That is where it will re-flower.  Don't overwater it and make sure it gets lots of light.

Here's my old variegated Hoya that blooms many times a year.

hoyar_7803.jpg

Don't cut off the spur that is left when the flowers fall off.  That is where it will re-flower.  Don't overwater it and make sure it gets lots of light.

Here's my old variegated Hoya that blooms many times a year.

Believe me........it sure doesnt get overwatered!! lol And it gets lots of morning light...

I think in the 20 years i've had it, I have only transplanted it 2 times......

Hoping to get it to flower more.......I think they are so pretty!

Guest snellma

Oh my gosh.  I have one of those.  My step mother gave it to me.  I had it for years before it finally started to flower and now it flowers all the time.  It appeared that it needed to become root bound in order for it to grow and flower.  I am afraid to transplant mine now cause it is growing so much.

Mine is hanging in our dinning room which receives all the morning light.  I absolutely love the flowers on it.  Thanks for posting so I now know what kind of a plant it is.

the bloom looks very similar to the common milkweed which is blooming or finishing its bloom right now.  I know that it's not the same

plant, just that the bloom struck a chord with me.

Guest snellma

Hoya is supposed to have a good fragrance but mine desn't smell like anything!

Oh mine flowers smell so good.

There are a couple of species of hoya. One can take almost 10 years to bloom. (That's the kind I always get!) They need to be root bound to bloom and happy with the way they are being grown. If someone gives you a cutting try to get one with a spur on it. That means it will bloom sooner rather than later.

Guest snellma

There are a couple of species of hoya. One can take almost 10 years to bloom. (That's the kind I always get!) They need to be root bound to bloom and happy with the way they are being grown. If someone gives you a cutting try to get one with a spur on it. That means it will bloom sooner rather than later.

I was thinking about re-potting it but I guess I will leave it alone.