GoDuBois.com

sweet peppers?

Guest mcac

is it too early to plane seeds? a friend planted hers but my mom says too early, I have a teired plastic covered indoor greenhouse, any input? thanks.

I wouldn't start them any earlier than 10 weeks before May 31 which would be March 22.  Any earlier and they get too leggy plus there's the extra time spent tending them, possibility of diseases, etc.

If you send me your e-mail I'll send you a seed scheduler that tells you what date to start seeds for proper planting times.

cshenkle@verizon.net

I wouldn't start them any earlier than 10 weeks before May 31 which would be March 22.  Any earlier and they get too leggy plus there's the extra time spent tending them, possibility of diseases, etc.

If you send me your e-mail I'll send you a seed scheduler that tells you what date to start seeds for proper planting times.

cshenkle@verizon.net

Can I email you also? I have a bucnh of herbs this year and a few other things that are new to me this year that I had given to me with no instructions. Neck pumpkin, paste tomato, italian pasley, cilantro, basil, fenugreek, rocket, dill, mustard greens, spinach and mustard greens hybrid, grano onions, kale, mariana tomatoes, and hybrid red head cabbage. I don't know a thing about any yet lol.

Let's get this list into a more workable order and maybe others can contribute their know how because while I can research some of these, I haven't grown them all.

Neck pumpkin, something like a long necked Butternut Squash, starts or plant directly in the garden

Paste tomato, plant from starts

Italian pasley, plant from starts

Cilantro, plant from starts or directly in the garden

Basil, best planted from starts

Fenugreek, don't know

Rocket, dill, plant from starts or directly in garden

Mustard greens, I'm guessing directly in the garden, early

Mustard greens hybrid, ditto

Spinach, sow directly inthe garden early

Grano onions, from starts planted very early or possibly directly in the garden

Kale, directly in the garden

Mariana tomatoes, from starts about 8 weeks old

Hybrid red head cabbage, from starts about 8 weeks old.

I'll get these into the table with more information and with more research..

Can I email you also? I have a bucnh of herbs this year and a few other things that are new to me this year that I had given to me with no instructions. Neck pumpkin, paste tomato, italian pasley, cilantro, basil, fenugreek, rocket, dill, mustard greens, spinach and mustard greens hybrid, grano onions, kale, mariana tomatoes, and hybrid red head cabbage. I don't know a thing about any yet lol.

Except for the tomatoes and cabbage all can be seeded outside. Parsley, rocket, dill, mustard greens, spinach, onions and kale go out as soon as the ground can be worked. Basil needs warmer soil to germinate so about the time you set your tomatoes out you can seed the basil, ditto the cilantro. Tomatoes are started indoors toward the end of March. Cabbage goes in indoors around the first or second week of March. You can put it out even before the end of May if no hard frosts are predicted. Pumpkins can be started indoors about the 1st of May or put in ourdoors when the soil warms around the last week of May or a bit later. Fenugreek is a warm climate veggie so I'd say put it in when the tomatoes go in.

Peppers are tricky. They need a minimum of 10 weeks of growth indoors. They can however be slow to germinate so take that into consideration.

I don't know where you grow your vegetables indoors but I've found that it sometimes takes a week or two more than the charts suggest to bring indoor seeded plants to the size needed to put them outside. We don't always have the kind of spring sunshine that makes plants grow. I've never grown fenegeek as far as I can remember but I've tried the rest of it. The kale will grow under the snow in the winter. Pick the mustard green young or they get too hot.

Sort those herbs into annual and perennial so you know where you want to plant them. Perennial herbs do best in a sunny area and  many like rather like poor soil.