GoDuBois.com

brussel sprouts

wildflowerpa

Every year I plant brussel sprouts andnothing botheres them. This year something has eatenoff just the tops, not the baby sprouts, of the plants. Will the sprouts still grow the way they should or are they done? I know  from what I have read that the top leaves act like an umbrella and keep the sun off of them. Thats why you pull off the lower leaves so they can grow. I thought that the deer got them but there are no foot prints. And the wind pushed my corn over. At least we have tators and green beans so far. We won't discuss the carrots.

The top produces the plant hormones that allow the plant to grow upward. What will probably happen is that any sprouts that are already formed will develop but no further growth will take place. Brussel sprouts are tricky. I get them when they feel like growing. I can't even find them this year. I must have given all of the little plants away and never planted any. Weird!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Aren't they fall plants.  Maybe it just isn't time for the fruit yet.  We planted them once years ago but I can't remember anything about them.