GoDuBois.com

Tomatoes!

Petee

Heh Steelnut,

Get any tomatoes done today? Roma's are great but they are so much work to roast first like I do but I love them that way. Sure don't I'm doing them tomorrow morning, bright and early!

How do you roast your romas? I'm intrigued, love new recipes!

If you google roasted roma's you will see an amazing amount of recipes but the basic method is the same for all of them. I peel mine first but some people don't peel at all or roast them for awhile and the skin will then slide right off.

Wash as many tomatoes as you want to do. Since I am canning, I put in 2 roaster pans full. Slice the tomatoes in half. Then line them up cut side up in your roaster pan or cookie sheet with sides so the juice doesn't drip into the oven. You can line the pans with parchment paper, spray with Pam, or lightly grease with oil (olive oil is best)

First lightly drizzle olive oil on the timatoes if you like. I skip this step. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with sugar (to caramelize the tomatoes), garlic powder, salt, italian spice or oregano or basil, or any other spice that you wiould use if you were making sauce.

Then you roast them. I leave mine in the oven at mostly 250 degrees for 6 to 8 hours to get the flavor that I want but it is entirely up to you on the temperature and time. I see on google that many people roast at a higher temperature for a shorter time and some do it at 200 degrees for up to 12 hours. After the first few hours I stir them to let them roast evenly. I try to fill the oven with as many pans as possible so I don't waste energy.

These are great canned with juice or frozen in small bags to add to pasta dishes or eat plain. I even like them in sandwiches with ricotta cheese.

The flavor is unbelievable. And you can roast them this way and then make sauce and can that if you like. It is great. They are done when there is no juice in the pan and the tomatoes are still soft. I go by taste. When they taste good to me they are done. LOL