GoDuBois.com

Deck (Container) Gardening

Petee

Nope, not a lot of work or I wouldn't be doing it.  Once a day I go through with the hose and water everything.  Then I go back and water anything that needs fertilized with a can.  It takes 20 minutes max.

Guest Tracy96

I hinted to hubby but he's still working on the "Honey-Do" list that accumulated till he retired this past spring.  

Don't be to hard on him or your beautiful plants might start dying off...hee hee.  I'm just joking around w/ya.

Actually he (surprisingly) offered to still get me the larger greenhouse but I'm not doing anything till I find out the verdict on the knee, and then there's the other one that hasn't declared war yet.  I fell several times on them several years ago and now the damage has come home to roost.

The larger one will not be on the deck so it would require some regular climbing down stairs and walking into the lawn.  Maybe next year.  I love propagating and dividing new plants.  We'll all need bigger Perennial beds if I ever manage to start cuttings successfully.

• 2 weeks later...

You grow almost anything that you have room for.  My deck is about ten feet off of the ground and the  only thing I found was that I had to provide some air flow between the floor boards and the bottoms of the containers because even though there are cracks between the boards they still heat up the bottom of the container too much.

Also, you have to feed about twice as often as in the ground because when you water daily the nutrients wash out the bottom.  I feed from a five gallon bucket (it warms the water a little) and water from the hose in between.

I have squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, Swiss Chard, a couple different kinds of peppers, 10 different kinds of tomatoes, a Birdhouse Gourd, and several kinds of flowering vines including a Moonflower, two colors of Sweet Peas, climbing Snapdragons and an assortment of other odd stuff I'm trying out.  I'm going to try three corn plants in a long container next year just to see what happens with good feeding and lots of water.  It's fun to see what works.  

I've done better this year than many in the past few so if this continues we're going to do some square foot gardening next year.

If I can get my belligerant camera to work again I'll take an updated picture and post it.