GoDuBois.com

Jack and the orchid stalk

lavender

And it grew and grew until it was over 6 ft. tall. I had to put the pot on the floor. Stakes weren't long enough so I put a suction cup on the glass with a piece of wire suspended from it. I haven't counted the flowers but there are a bunch.

orchidstem_9278.jpg

I guess it is normal. The woman who gave me the orchid got it from someone who lives where it grows. I don't think this kind ever makes it to the markets because they could never be shipped in bloom and blooms are what sell. I'm going to divide it, as was the deal, but I couldn't do it after it threw that stem. We'll see if it ever does it again.

As for the yard, parts of it are nice but you don't want to see the messy parts. That flat spot is the home of my husbands future garage/workshop. When he retires. Meanwhile he moves dirt. I think it is his new hobby.

WOW!  I'm an orchid enthusiast and I have to say - yours is truly amazing!!!

Do you know exactly what kind of orchid that is? That is the tallest one I've ever seen. It just is beautiful.

Please post a picture for us when it blooms. I can't wait.

This is my Cymbidium orchid that bloomed in Spring. It got to be about 3 1/2 ft. tall.

Posted Image

Nice one and healthy looking.  My cymbidium just bloomed. The flowers came out of the pot at the bottom of the leaves and kind of grew down. I think the orchid in my picture is an oncidium. I have ones that are similar. Those tiny little things along the flowering stem are the blossoms. Sorry it isn't a very good picture as I was takng the picture facing the window. Hard not to do when you are surrounded by glass.

I just found a sale you wouldn't believe on paphs and bought about 6 of them. The only one I've ever had didn't do well but these were nice healthy plants at $3 apiece. Who is going to pass that up?

They say to tease away all of the old medium and cut off dead roots. I sometimes don't get rid of all of the dead roots because they help anchor the plant in the pot. Also it is supposed to be a good idea to dust any cuts with cinnamon. If it is a healthy plant you shouldn't have any trouble. I left an oncidium somewhere for a period of time and they overwatered it badly. Some of the bulbs were turning brown. I brought it home and took it apart. Even the brown bulbs are now putting up new growth.

I've found that some orchids are tough to kill and some drop dead when you look at them funny.