GoDuBois.com

Tomato question

I was wondering when I should expect my tomato plants to start producing tomatoes?

Right now, the plant is being covered with lil yellow flowers...and since this is my first time doing tomatoes, I have no clue what that means or how long it'll take to get produce.

Oh a good note, my 2 itty bitty strawberry plants are HUGE and are producing some massive, juicy strawberries!

We don't generally get tomatoes until the middle of August or later on Big Boy and other standard tomatoes. It depends on the type of tomato, how big they were when you put them in and how long they have been in. I have two packs of tomatoes here the Big Boy says 78 days to harvest and the Roma says 85-90 days till harvest. Much is dependant on weather but you won't probably see ripe tomatoes for quite some time, end of July the earliest and I've never had one then. I know people who get a few that early though.

PS Here is an oportunity for all tomato growers to brag about how early they get those ripe ones. :c49:

Guest snellma

PS Here is an oportunity for all tomato growers to brag about how early they get those ripe ones. :c49:

I've been eating mine for about a week now.  We've also been eating corn on the cob for 3 weeks.

Guest snellma

I've been eating mine for about a week now.  We've also been eating corn on the cob for 3 weeks.

The squirrels are now helping me eat mine.  I found 3 tomatoes in the back yard this week that the squirrels have carted off to eat!!!  Where is my BB gun.

I switched to Goliath tomatoes this year. I have never tried them before but, I have heard good things. I also planted Granny Smith tomatoes and several, "Pounders" that I bought from the gardening club. I can't wait to see what we get. Some of the Goliath plants have flowers. The other plants are growing slowly. That could be a good sign! One of the best tomatoes that I have grown were Russian Ox Heart. I got the seeds from a neighbor years ago. He has since passed away. I have tried buying & planting Beef Heart tomatoes but didn't have much luck with them.

I tried oxheart one year and didn't have much luck with them. My tomatoes this year are growing very rapidly. I have some of the "tree tomatoes" that I grew from seed and they are huge. No blossoms yet but my stuff is always behind because of the cool nights here in the sticks.

Picking lots of peas.

I didn't plant any peas, onions, lettuce, or radishes this year. Now that the weather has been cool at night with lots of rain, I wish that I did. The last few years that I did plant those items, they didn't do well. I blamed it on hot nights with little rain. The rest of my plants are doing well. They were growing faster about one and a half weeks ago and have since slowed. They are still well ahead of where I usually am at this time of the year. I have a few tomatoes on a couple of my plants. I didn't notice them until I was hoeing today.

Can't grow radishes either. I've even tried them in raised beds. No luck! Had great spinach and the lettuce is growing well. Onions are doing OK and the leeks have really taken off with the rain. The pepper plants that I bought because mine were so scrawny have blossoms. There is something to be said for buying plants that were started far earlier than we can successfully get them started.

Guest snellma

Whatever was eating my peppers seem to be leaving them alone now so I finally have some bell peppers on my plants.  My jalapeno and banana's are still producing along with the cucumbers, but most everything else is done.  Oh, I forgot, I have 3 tomato plants in the garden and they are full of green tomatoes.  The tomatoes I have in my box are just about done or the squirrels keep getting them.  They haven't found the ones in the garden yet, but I'm sure it will just be a matter of time.  Of course I will continue to leave my onions and beets in as long as I can but I doubt it will be much longer.

Guest snellma

What seems to have stopped the pepper munchers or did it just happen on its own?

It just happened on its own.  I haven't even dusted them and they are growing like crazy.  Guess I better not push my luck though - I think I will dust them this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

My Goliath plants have tomatoes hanging that are about the size of small baseballs. They are still green but, I am hoping that they will be ready soon. Maybe another two weeks or so. Nearly everything that I have is growing well so far. The combination of warm weather and frequent rain is helping out a lot.

I don't know how many quarts of berries I have picked so far but this is easily the best year that we have had with berries since I moved to DuBois some twenty five years ago. I used to live in the Pittsburgh area and had to look along highways and under powerlines for berries. It is great to have more than I need right in my backyard.