GoDuBois.com

A Home Greenhouse

Petee

I'm going to start a new thread so this is easier to find.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47712

Yes, that is the one I have (6x8 ) from Harbor Freight.  It's a beast to lug to wherever you want to assemble it, and then there's the directions which are not complete.  However, they did e-mail me photos of the places where the directions left off.

We drilled over 300 holes and bolted it together on a section of the deck that we built a couple of years ago specifically for the purpose of me having a little greenhouse some day.  We are also going to add a sunroom to the basement for heat for the house and so I have a place for the indoor plants over the winter.  

The one from Lowes doesn't have roof windows to open when the heat gets too high.  The one from Harbor Freight is much nicer.

Friends gave us a remote digital thermometer from Radio Shack so I have it recording the temperature in the greenhouse.  Right now I have the windows and door open to let the air flow through but this spring when it got cold at night and I put the electric heater out there, it made it so much easier to regulate.  I could check it in the kitchen and then go out and raise or lower the temp.

We made a base of pressure treated 2x4s for it but you could just level it on open ground if you were right on the mark.  Otherwise I would pour a concrete apron to rest the sides on, or even a floor.

We are going to add two levels of 2x4s under this one in the fall so it will be higher.  With all of the base bolted together it will be heavy enough that I don't think anything other than a bona fide tornado will move it.

I think the one at Lowes only comes with one shelf?  Did I miss seeing more?

The one from Harbor Freight does not have shelves but I think they have some you can buy.  

I got 2x2s, small L brackets and a roll of vinyl coated 2x4 wire and made them solid around the greenhouse.  I think there are twelve total, deep enough to set a flat length wise on them when there are a lot of plants.  54 flats in all and more if I get inventive.  

If I didi it again I would just run them along the sides and not the back.  I don't think much space would be lost.

I think the one at Lowes only comes with one shelf?  Did I miss seeing more?

The one from Harbor Freight does not have shelves but I think they have some you can buy.  

I got 2x2s, small L brackets and a roll of vinyl coated 2x4 wire and made them solid around the greenhouse.  I think there are twelve total, deep enough to set a flat length wise on them when there are a lot of plants.  54 flats in all and more if I get inventive.  

If I didi it again I would just run them along the sides and not the back.  I don't think much space would be lost.

The one at Lowe's has two shelves, one on each side.

Hubby says there is a Harbor Freight in Altoona, I'd like to take a trip down to see one.

The one at Lowe's has two shelves, one on each side.

Hubby says there is a Harbor Freight in Altoona, I'd like to take a trip down to see one.

They don't have any set up in the store. But there is a picture on the box. Hubby always drops me off at A.C. Moore and he goes to Harbor Freight. :)

For Harbor Freight in Altoona go to the mall that has the Toy store and pet store.  Harbor Freight is the store in the left corner.  Take a truck because even the small one will not fit in any sort of a car.

We're going to have the electrician wire it so it's grounded.  I have a hose and an electric cord strung out there now and I keep wondering how long till I forget to pull the cord out and give it a shot of water!  I'm having a water faucet installed in there too because I'm getting way too old for this!  

If hubby thinks it will keep me happily employed and out of his hair for the next ten years or so, he'll do it! :-)