GoDuBois.com

Wisteria

Petee

Guest Tracy96

How long did your Wisteria take to bloom after you planted it?  I've been thinking about planting some but remembered reading that it wouldn't get it's first bloom until after 5 years.  I thought geeze, who knows if I'll even be here in 5 years....LOL

It was quite a few years, maybe about 7?  I never pruned or root pruned it so it was like a wild manian trying to take over that end of the house. Occasionally I still got flowers. Last year I chopped it back to a nubbin and now I have quite a few.  

There are a lot of suckers which will grow exactly like the parent plant.  If I get some help, I'll do some starters.

The one at the Medicine Shoppe is just coing into bud so the flowers will probably be good for viewing for a couple of weeks after this next week.  They are about a good week from opening.  Stop by and take a look.

Guest Tracy96

I just bought a wisteria plant!  I'm so excited to watch it grow as soon as I decide where to plant it.  My back yard is mostly clay.  It has lots of water.  I'm not sure of the PH level though.  I'm thinking about planting it along the woods line so it can climb a couple of the trees that border our yard.  There is more soil on top of the clay there.  Does this sound like a good idea?

It is not really a good idea to let vines go up trees. We had a very large maple tree come down a couple of years ago and I'm sure a contributing factor was the big kiwi vines growing up it. The rain soaked the leaves and the weight of the whole thing was just too much for the tree.

Wisteria will grow anywhere but it will bloom only in the sun. I've got it growing all through the woods and over a gazebo. It is planted too near the tree line and doesn't get enough sun to bloom. I've cut it to the ground, root pruned it and threatened it with Round-up. Nothing makes it bloom. One of these days I'll use the Round-up.

If you can give it a nice trellis in the sun and keep it under control.

There's one on DuBois Street (the road to Falls Creek?) behind a big brick rental house.  It's on the back alley right next to Luther Funeral Home.  It goes up the tree and covers it with blooms but when that baby comes down, everyone had better un for cover!

I just bought a wisteria plant!  I'm so excited to watch it grow as soon as I decide where to plant it.  My back yard is mostly clay.  It has lots of water.  I'm not sure of the PH level though.  I'm thinking about planting it along the woods line so it can climb a couple of the trees that border our yard.  There is more soil on top of the clay there.  Does this sound like a good idea?

They take quite a few years to bloom, so take that time to prune it vigorously and get it to the height and shape you want.

Guest Tracy96

Hubby had a fit when I bought the plant so he's gonna love it when I tell him I want to buy a trellis for my new plant!  LOL  The place where I was thinking about planting it gets sun up until about 4pm.  There is actually 2 trees together that could share the weight.  Is wisteria that heavy?  The trees are about 30 feet tall now.  I figured they'd grow along with the wisteria.  I can always put a trellis in next to it later.  It would really suck if I did buy/build a trellis and my wisteria died.  Hubby would really love that...hee hee  

Wisteria is insane! No, it probably isn't as heavy as the two kiwis that caused my problem but it gets out of control if you don't keep it pruned. Wisteria can grow to over 70 feet in length. Once you let a vine go up a tree you have lost control. To regain it you would have to cut the vine back down to the base.

I'm afraid that it will harm the tree eventually. It is actually considered an invasive species harmful to forests It is an enormously powerful vine and can gird a tree. It also prevents the tree from getting sufficient sunlight.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/wist1.htm

You can actually grow wisteria as a tree by supporting the vine until it forms a  trunk and keeping the top pruned into a canopy. It looks like a lot of work though for what would always be a small plant. I think the big wisteria trees are grafted onto an actual tree trunk.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/growing-wisteria-standards.html

I trained mine up a metal trellis but eventually it took the trellis with it.  I laughed because I saw the exact same thing on the one at the Medicine Shoppe.  There's no way to get it out without a ladder and a heavy pair of wire cutters.

Actually you can tie a rope to a tree, deck, building, and train it up the rope till it gets to the right height.  Then chop it off and keep it chopped as it tries to escape.  There is regular pruning involved and don't be afraid to do it.  You won't be sorry.

Guest Tracy96

I haven't planted mine yet....been sick w/a cold...I think I'm going to plant it along the woods line near my shed.  It won't hurt anything if it goes crazy there.  I was looking at it today and noticed that it already has some buds on it!  WOW  not bad for a lowes clearance plant for only $12.

I haven't planted mine yet....been sick w/a cold...I think I'm going to plant it along the woods line near my shed.  It won't hurt anything if it goes crazy there.  I was looking at it today and noticed that it already has some buds on it!  WOW  not bad for a lowes clearance plant for only $12.

Don't you love Lowe's sales! We have a network going that if someone finds something good on sale they email me and I forward it to everyone else. I had a friend who stood guard over a bayberry for me once until I could get over there. It is growing nicely.

Guest Tracy96

I buy almost all my plants off of the clearance rack.  Sometimes there isn't anything wrong w/them and other times they just need a little TLC.  I save tons of money this way :)

That's how the new Franklin Street Bathtub bed and the long mound beside it got planted.  Last year was the first year we had an excess of money and we wanted to get rid of most of it.  We don't like to let money accumulate in the tresury because it belongs to the community,

I bought tons of plants from the Lowes sale racks, dragged them to my deck, then was in bed with the Shingles for 6 weeks, then it was getting so late that we had to do a dump and plant just to get them into the ground before the weather got too bad.  

This spring we were so amazed because it's gorgeous!

I buy almost all my plants off of the clearance rack.  Sometimes there isn't anything wrong w/them and other times they just need a little TLC.  I save tons of money this way :)

You have to be careful about clearance rack plants though. Lowe's takes pretty good care of them but in some instances they never really recover from lack of water and other stresses to their roots. They will appear to come back but are really too damaged to make it through the winter. I guess there is no way of knowing. It doesn't keep me from buying them though.