GoDuBois.com

Parks Whopper Tomato Plant?

Smokefree

Guest snellma

I have one right now.  The tomatoes are huge and it is producing wonderfully.  I am pleased with it.

That is great! I hope I can do as well as you are. Do you fertilize with deluted Miracle Grow? I was thinking of trying that. I have heard that Miracle Grow makes fertilizer specifically for tomatoes but I can't find any in stores.

You want good fruit production in tomatoes and not a lot of leafy growth so steer clear of anything high in nitrogen. (N the first letter in the NPK analysis of the fertilizer.) The P, phosphorus, encourages fruit production. Most sources recommend 5-10-5 or 5-10-10 or multiples of those numbers. The higher the numbers the less you need but the proportions should stay the same.

If you mean Parks Whopper I bought one yesterday at KMart. I got a nice looking plant. Some had blossoms on already but I didn't pick them because I remember hearing somewhere (probably on godubois here) not to buy them when they are blossoming already. I only bought one because I am just going to try a few of several different varieties this year, mostly on my deck because something kept eating my tomatoes in the garden last year. When I googled Parks Whopper the info looked good.

Buying them with blossoms on won't hurt at all but be prepared for some blossom drop if there is transplant shock from a difference in sun, heat, water, night temps, etc.  Otherwise it will be just fine.  Try to keep it very well watered for the first few days and plant it in the evening if possible.  That way it has a night to get a little acclimated before it's subjected to

these temps.

If a plant has very well (but not root bound) root system, there's no problem with planting them now.  Mine are still in their growing containers but will be going out pretty soon.

Where can I find Miracle Grow for Tomatoes?

I've bought it before at Kmart. You could also check Lowe's and ..... dare I say..... Walmart.  Also the garden centers may have it.

Of course you can buy it on-line, if you can't find it locally.