GoDuBois.com

Fresh Rabbit droppings...

I have around 50 pounds of fresh rabbit droppings in the trunk of my car right now. Someone gave this to me today. What do you think, is it a good idea to spread this over my garden. The droppings came from rabbits that were in a pen and have been fed rabbit food and corn. I don't think that I have to worry about clover and such growing as a result of the seeds being present in the droppings.  

I searched the web after making this post and found this, "Rabbit droppings are considered a "cold" manure - they can be applied directly from the rabbit to the garden without fear of burning. Since most rabbits urinate in a different location from where they defecate, if one keeps the hutch or cage cleaned regularly, there is little risk of the pellets becoming ammonia-soaked. Even so, allowing the hutch cleanings to sit a week or so before using allows the volatization of any excessive amounts of ammonia.

Dry rabbit droppings are almost entirely barely recycled alfalfa - there is virtually no difference from using rabbit droppings as a steep or tea as there is in using alfalfa meal or pellets directly in this manner. If it bothers you, just don't use it on edible crops but it's not going to hurt the plants at all. In fact, rabbit manure is frequently referred to as "bunny gold" or "super fertilizer" as it contains the highest concentrations of basic plant nutrients of any common animal manure.

I've raised rabbits for years as pets and for their benefit as little fertilizer machines and have used their droppings both directly, as a tea and as a cold compost. In fact, rabbit manure is pretty much the only 'fertilizer' I have used on my garden in the past 15 years or so."

I did learn a lesson when I got the rabbit droppings--watch out for maggots. There were a lot of them living in the rabbit droppings. I didn't do anything special about the maggots. I just spread the droppings around and left the maggots in the droopings. We will see what happens.