GoDuBois.com

blackberries

Greg

Pruning is the key to good fruit production in bramble fruit. These fruit on two year old canes so anything older should be pruned out. New canes should be thinned for the biggest fruit. You also, unlike raspberries, trim back the tips of the canes. If you get the trailing backberries rather than the upright ones you might want to trellis them. There are also thornless blackberries which you might want to look into although I hear they aren't as hardy as the thorny ones. Picking wild blackberries is wicked and I don't suppose picking tame ones is much better.

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06000.htm

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1431.html

We have good conditions for blackberries around here as the wild ones thrive. They even fruit in deep shade. I don't know anyone who grows them in their gardens but I think they would be even easier than raspberries.

We have wild blackberries here, and I can tell you, the need lots of water to thrive.  During years when the summers are not so wet, we end up with small dry berries that are very seed-y.  During wet years, we get plump and juicy berries as big as my thumb.

We have blackberries where we camp along the river and the berries are huge. No need to go looking anywhere else for them. I still have some in my freezer. Made so many pies and lots of seedless jelly. Get tired of making pies as they are not my favorite.

Guest snellma

We have blackberries where we camp along the river and the berries are huge. No need to go looking anywhere else for them. I still have some in my freezer. Made so many pies and lots of seedless jelly. Get tired of making pies as they are not my favorite.

Wish I could find something like that here in SC.

Guest snellma

If I remember (ahem) I will freeze a couple bags for you and you can get them in the fall.

That would be great.  I would really appreciate it.  I hope your memory is better than mine  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to go with the THORNLESS blackberry bush from Hanzely's Nursery. I got 3 of them, 12-18" tall. I'm hoping to put them in the ground tomarrow! The nice people at the nursery said just put them in the ground and watch them grow.

Now the part that makes me nervous....when to prune??

Mature Height: 3-6 ft.  

Mature Width:  3-5 ft.  

Sunlight: Full or Partial

Soil Conditions:  Adaptable

Drought Tolerance:  Good

Hardy to -10 degrees. Should I cover them for the winter. Windchill can get colder than -10.

Here is what one County Extension Service says about pruning:"Blackberries bear on last year's canes. After picking the berries, you should prune the bearing canes to the ground. The new canes (this year's) should be pruned to a four-foot height. This pruning forces the plants to grow side branches, which will bear next year's crop. These lateral branches should be cut back to twelve inches during the winter..

Trellises are not necessary as the canes are erect and, when shortened to a four-foot height, will stand on their own and make a neat hedge."

I seriously doubt if you are going to need winter protection for the roots around here but mulching never hurt anything and will keep down weeds. The canes should be safe as well in most winters. They are probably your most vulnerable part. Since they bear on second year canes you must get the canes through the winter without freezing to get any fruit. I don't think you will have a problem if they are hardy to -10 unless you have put them in an area where they are likely to get dessicated by winter winds. Don't do that!

If you have to pin them down after they go dormant and cover them with straw to keep them from freezing like I have to do with my hydrangea you are not going to be a happy gardener.

I agree that winter protection really isn't needed around our area. I haven't done nything to protect them during the winter and we have had lots of berries each year.

Here is what one County Extension Service says about pruning:"Blackberries bear on last year's canes. After picking the berries, you should prune the bearing canes to the ground. The new canes (this year's) should be pruned to a four-foot height. This pruning forces the plants to grow side branches, which will bear next year's crop. These lateral branches should be cut back to twelve inches during the winter..

Trellises are not necessary as the canes are erect and, when shortened to a four-foot height, will stand on their own and make a neat hedge."

I seriously doubt if you are going to need winter protection for the roots around here but mulching never hurt anything and will keep down weeds. The canes should be safe as well in most winters. They are probably your most vulnerable part. Since they bear on second year canes you must get the canes through the winter without freezing to get any fruit. I don't think you will have a problem if they are hardy to -10 unless you have put them in an area where they are likely to get dessicated by winter winds. Don't do that!

If you have to pin them down after they go dormant and cover them with straw to keep them from freezing like I have to do with my hydrangea you are not going to be a happy gardener.